About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

I realize there's a lot of factors in this question...I'm just looking to gain a better understanding here.

So, lets constrain the variables a bit: The pump is running with an output of 50GPM for 6 hours, at NIGHT (no sun burn off) with a clean SWCG set to 50%. Oh, and assume the pool is clear of any CC.

If I run the tf-100 chlorine test after sunset, and rerun the test before sunrise, how much increase in FC should I see?

At the heart of it, I'm trying to figure out if the salt cell is operating correctly.

Here's my numbers:
pH- 7.5
Free chlorine -6.5ppm
Combined chloramines -0
Calcium -250ppm
Alkalinity- 80ppm
CYA - 50ppm

I realize I'm currently a bit high with my FC. I've recently done a SLAM, but I'm just not 100% good with understanding the SWCG, since I'm new to pool ownership.

I've been slowly bringing up my CYA for the last couple days. Adding about 1/2lb a day. Seems to be some disagreement about the best way to add stabilizer....so, I'm working it slowly.

Thanks Jason, Tim, and all

All of your numbers look good except the CYA needs to be bumped and you are working on that.

To raise the CYA from 50 to 80 it will take 3lbs. of CYA in your pool. After you have added CYA it can take a week to show up on a test. There is no rush at this time to bump it up and you are fine doing it your way.

The SWG seems to be working fine with only adding 1.8 ppm a day right now. Just keep close eye on the FC as it will need to be dialed in with the new CYA level. Most pools will use 2-4 ppm of FC a day during swim season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The T-15 cell produces 1.45 lbs of chlorine in a 24 hour period at a 100% setting. 8.34 lbs. is the weight of 1 gallon of water. The above formula assumes the density of water is 1 g/ml and all the other conversion factors fall out.

The T-15 cell produces 1.45 lbs of chlorine in a 24 hour period at a 100% setting. 8.34 lbs. is the weight of 1 gallon of water. The above formula assumes the density of water is 1 g/ml and all the other conversion factors fall out.

Big thank you, Mark. My unit is still under warranty. I've contacted my pool builder.
I'll try to follow up on this thread with lessons learned once this gets figured out.

You haven't checked to see how much chlorine the pool is using up, so you have no way of knowing what the SWG is doing. The precision of the FC test is also close to the number you are trying to measure, so any results are going to be fairly approximate.

If you want to tell how the SWG is working, posting the numbers reported by the diagnostic button while the cell is active will give you far more information. The diagnostic button cycles through a sequence of numbers on each press. If you post the complete sequence we can tell quite a bit about how the SWG is doing.

It is also possible to get the SWG cell tested at most pool stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.