Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

1. Back To Top    #1

About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

I realize there's a lot of factors in this question...I'm just looking to gain a better understanding here.

So, lets constrain the variables a bit: The pump is running with an output of 50GPM for 6 hours, at NIGHT (no sun burn off) with a clean SWCG set to 50%. Oh, and assume the pool is clear of any CC.

If I run the tf-100 chlorine test after sunset, and rerun the test before sunrise, how much increase in FC should I see?

At the heart of it, I'm trying to figure out if the salt cell is operating correctly.
    ~Adam 12K gal free-form pool with spa, Hayward EcoStart VS pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, Hayward C17502 filter, Hayward Heat PumpPro 140k BTU, Stonescapes minipebble. tf-100 & speedstir.
    5.5 foot retaining wall. Build completed in Feb 2015.
    East Central FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About how much chlorine does a SWCG generate?

Which salt cell? They come in different sizes.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Many SWG problems turn out to actually be chemistry problems. If you post a full set of test results we can tell you if chemistry is likely to be an issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Which salt cell? They come in different sizes.
    Tim - it's a Hayward T-Cell-15 (for up to 40000 gallon pool).
    ~Adam 12K gal free-form pool with spa, Hayward EcoStart VS pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, Hayward C17502 filter, Hayward Heat PumpPro 140k BTU, Stonescapes minipebble. tf-100 & speedstir.
    East Central FL.

5. Back To Top    #5

1.45 lbs/24 hour. In your case, that would be about 1.8 ppm per day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's my numbers:
    pH- 7.5
    Free chlorine -6.5ppm
    Combined chloramines -0
    Calcium -250ppm
    Alkalinity- 80ppm
    CYA - 50ppm

I realize I'm currently a bit high with my FC. I've recently done a SLAM, but I'm just not 100% good with understanding the SWCG, since I'm new to pool ownership.

I've been slowly bringing up my CYA for the last couple days. Adding about 1/2lb a day. Seems to be some disagreement about the best way to add stabilizer....so, I'm working it slowly.

Thanks Jason, Tim, and all
    East Central FL.

7. Back To Top    #7

All of your numbers look good except the CYA needs to be bumped and you are working on that.

To raise the CYA from 50 to 80 it will take 3lbs. of CYA in your pool. After you have added CYA it can take a week to show up on a test. There is no rush at this time to bump it up and you are fine doing it your way.

The SWG seems to be working fine with only adding 1.8 ppm a day right now. Just keep close eye on the FC as it will need to be dialed in with the new CYA level. Most pools will use 2-4 ppm of FC a day during swim season.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    1.45 lbs/24 hour. In your case, that would be about 1.8 ppm per day.
    mas985, how did you calculate the 1.8 ppm per day?
    10,965 Gallons IG Aqua Pearl Finish pool, Pentair C&C RP 200 Sq Ft, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump
    Opened 03/27/2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Spa, Double Flagstone Spillover, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair 125K Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

1.8 ppm = 1.45/24 * 6 * 0.50 / (12000 * 8.34)
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

1.8 ppm = 1.45/24 * 6 * 0.50 / (12000 * 8.34)
    Thanks - where did the 1.45 and 8.34 derive from? (I'm trying to figure this out for my setup)
    10,965 Gallons IG Aqua Pearl Finish pool, Pentair C&C RP 200 Sq Ft, Pentair Intelliflow VS Pump
    Opened 03/27/2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Spa, Double Flagstone Spillover, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair 125K Heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

The T-15 cell produces 1.45 lbs of chlorine in a 24 hour period at a 100% setting. 8.34 lbs. is the weight of 1 gallon of water. The above formula assumes the density of water is 1 g/ml and all the other conversion factors fall out.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

The T-15 cell produces 1.45 lbs of chlorine in a 24 hour period at a 100% setting. 8.34 lbs. is the weight of 1 gallon of water. The above formula assumes the density of water is 1 g/ml and all the other conversion factors fall out.
    Big thank you, Mark. My unit is still under warranty. I've contacted my pool builder.
    I'll try to follow up on this thread with lessons learned once this gets figured out.
    East Central FL.

13. Back To Top    #13

Why are you calling the PB, it seems the SWG is working as it should?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Why are you calling the PB, it seems the SWG is working as it should?
    Seems like I'm getting only 25% of what I'd expect, based on the math assist from Mark. (or so I think).

Ping, do you have another idea? Would more than appreciate the input.
    East Central FL.

15. Back To Top    #15

You haven't checked to see how much chlorine the pool is using up, so you have no way of knowing what the SWG is doing. The precision of the FC test is also close to the number you are trying to measure, so any results are going to be fairly approximate.

If you want to tell how the SWG is working, posting the numbers reported by the diagnostic button while the cell is active will give you far more information. The diagnostic button cycles through a sequence of numbers on each press. If you post the complete sequence we can tell quite a bit about how the SWG is doing.

It is also possible to get the SWG cell tested at most pool stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School