Loosing water and cracks

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
About 5 months ago I started loosing a lot of water out of the pool. About 2" an hour when the pumps were running. I had American Leak Detection come out and they told me a had a broken pipe at the connection behind the skimmer. I had skimmer replaced but was still losing water. They checked again and found a leak behind one of the return jets and one inside the wall fitting for the Polaris. I got both of those repaired. During this time I started noticing cracks in the plaster (fibertec). The technician told me he thought those were just cosmetic but later discovered they were losing water too so he sealed them with some sort of epoxy.

After all that was fixed the water loss stopped. Everything was good for about 2 months. Then, this morning, I went out and I had lost 5-6 inches over night. I also see another new crack in the deep end.

What is going on? These cracks are really scaring. Is this pool on it's last leg? I just spent over $4,000 on a heater, new pump, and valves. I hope I'm not throwing money away. I'm starting to get a sick feeling.

It is likely soil movement related to the erratic soil moisture level we have experienced over the last few months. The black clay we have here in DFW expands a LOT when it gets wet and it contracts a LOT when it dries out. The key to slowing/stopping soil movement in this area is even, constant soil moisture levels. My first year (2012) with the pool we saw a crack in the plaster and movement between the coping and the deck, vertically and horizontally. I installed a micro irrigation system on a timer around the pool in August 2012. Deck and pool moved back together and the movement is pretty much stopped ever since. Soaker hoses work too. Doesn't take much, 15-20 minutes AM and again PM. When it is really dry keep an eye on it and if the dirt starts to retract from the pool then turn it up a little. Our water bill didn't even go up noticeably, maybe 5 bucks. And foundation watering is not a violation of water restrictions in the area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.