Long time pool school and forum reader but didn't have a pool until today. I am now the owner of a 13,500 gallon 24' round and I have a few questions.
The bulk of the water 12,000 gallons was trucked in and the rest was topped off with the household water hose (municipal). I am running through what I believe are the correct steps, but I probably should have asked before doing anything.
TF100 kit untouched water test result were:
FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 180
CH - not tested
CYA - 0
I am now
1. sock dissolving 4lb of stabilizer to get my CYA to 40. (pool calc. called for 4lb 8 oz.)
2. Added 121oz of 8.25% bleach (pool cals called for 102 oz; I figure the extra would not hurt with no CYA in the water)
3. waited and hour then Added 54oz of 31.45 muriatic acid.
My hope was to reduce PH to 7.2 to lower TA and then aerate to raise the PH back to 7.5
FC - 8
CC - .5
pH - 7.4
TA - 170
CH - 100
CYA - not tested
So now for the questions:
1. Should I continue on the path of lower PH and aerating?
2. Is there a preference on muriatic v dry acid?
3. Water has a green tint after adding chlorine. Based on what I've read here I think it's metal in the water. Should I order ProTeam Metal Magic now or wait?
4. Is there a post that reviews how the most common chemicals should be introduce to the pool? e.g. sock, skimmer, near return, etc