Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is on the bottom of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is on the bottom of pool?

I took the cover off yesterday afternoon. There were a few leaves that had got in as I was closing last year. I got them all out with the net. The bottom looked great! Then I turned on the hose (municipal water) and started to bring the water level back up to mid skimmer. I ran the water for about 4 hours then shut it off for the night. I turned it back on this morning for a few more hours. The bottom was still clear. I shut the water off because I had to leave. Mid afternoon when I returned I turned on the water again. It got to where I could turn on the pump and start circulating. I'm not sure if it started before I turned on the pump or after but I noticed this brownish rusty colored stuff on the bottom of the pool after uncovered only 24 hours. It wasn't above 62 degrees here and hasn't been so I don't see how it could be algae. I fought with whatever this is the end of last season. But it wasn't on the bottom when I opened it. I just finished filling it tonight and plan to start with chlorine and such in the morning. What could it be?
    dirt.jpg
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is on the bottom of pool?

Is your pool filled from well water? Any chance you know if you have metals in the water?

ooops, never mind. I see you're on muni water
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it hard and stuck top the bottom? Is it only in one place or is it everywhere? No chance its just un-noticed dirt that was scatterd about, and the current created by the pump swept it all to the same spot(s) ?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Try performing an OCLT to see if it is algae.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt

That looks exactly like what I was seeing on the bottom of my pool, mainly along wrinkles / seams in my liner. On advice of other TFP members, I performed an OCLT and found a FC loss of 2 ppm and a CC of 1.5. Prior to my SLAM, it would take 1 or 2 light scrubs with a pool brush or vacuum to make it disappear. After 4 days of SLAM, it moves like dust when the brush even comes near it and my OCLT is less than FC .5 to 1 and a CC of .5 or less. Now my problem is that, even though the amount is reduced, the remaining is so fine that I think it is passing right through my sand filter. I think I am going to add a little DE to my skimmer to polish the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Is it hard and stuck top the bottom? Is it only in one place or is it everywhere? No chance its just un-noticed dirt that was scatterd about, and the current created by the pump swept it all to the same spot(s) ?
    I just found it last night so I haven't touched it yet. At the end of last season it was like a dust and would disperse as soon as you got near it with anything. It definitely wasn't showing like that when I first uncovered the pool. It is in different spots on the bottom only of the pool in various areas. Not just in one area.

Question on the DE? When you add it to the skimmer does it stay in the filter or does it recirculate into the pool? When I read that it is a carcinogen I almost hate to put it in there.
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

DE will stay in your filter until you backflush. It will be flushed out as waste so, you will have to add more if you want to continuing "polishing". It can be a concern if you breath its dust.

See:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Adding DE to my filter has really helped! You do lose it when your psi rises though and you need to backwash. You want to make sure you are home when you add DE so you can watch the psi. I don't think when you pour it in through the skimmer that it enters your pool. I believe it stays in the filter until backwash.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process