Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Question

Just opened a crystal clear pool from the long cold Buffalo winter. Thanks TFP! Initial test were all in line.

FC=8 keeping a little high as it is cold and i only check every few days until it warms up
    CC=0
    CYA=40
    PH=7.5
    TA=130
    salt=500 (for water feel)
    borates=40-50

All last year my ph would drift down. I would have to add borax weekly or so to bring it back when it drifted down to 7.2.
    When reading about TA levels, it seems like the ph should be drifting up with my value at 130.

Should I adjust anything or just keep doing what has been working for the last 2 years.
    If I lower TA I am worried the ph could drop faster than it does already
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Question

I would leave the TA alone for now but try to introduce some aeration into the pool to keep the pH up. Fountains, waterfalls or even turning the returns up so they break the surface and make ripples will raise pH. Aeration is a free way to bring it back up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

How are you chlorinating? The only reason the pH would be dropping is through use of acidic trichlor tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just 12% liquid chlorine. That's why I was surprised it keeps drifting down.
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

With a TA of 130 and only using liquid chlorine, the ph should rise slowly. Something acidic must be being introduced somehow or possibly test error.