Do you not backwash cartridge filter? (changing filters during remodel)

kriv

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
I am changing from a DE filter to a cartridge filter. I was reading up on them but haven't seen anything on backwashing. Do you not backwash a cartridge filter?

No, you remove them from the canister and clean them manually. Some love this method but I look at it as a downside to cartridge filters. But, if you get a big enough cartridge filter you may only have to clean it once or twice a year. Budget about an hour & a half to clean them.

No you do not. You just change the filter every couple weeks. Other option is to take it out and rinse it daily and you might get an extra week of life.

While that is true of Intex filters, the cartridges for large pool filters can last for years. That's good thing because some systems use more than one, and they aren't cheap.

If you get an oversized filter you will not have to clean it often if you don't get algae and keep your water clean. I have not cleaned mine in two years and I just hit the 25% mark which means it needs cleaning. It is not recommended to go this long in cleaning even if you don't hit the 25% mark. I know my pool really well. We net it daily and it is nearly always free of debris with the help of our Polaris 280. I also ALWAYS keep my water balanced 24x7x365 and that helps a lot. I know that these filters can be a real PITA if you get algae. Cleaning filters is not nearly as easy as back washing. The upside is you don't have to backwash losing water, CYA, and salt. Some municipalities restrict back washing of saltwater or DE into sewer systems so take that into account. That said, I LOVE my cartridge filter!

Like others have said before me, get a large filter and you'll only have to clean it once a year. I see a 2psi rise over the course of a year, but I usually clean them in the late spring anyway. I have the Jandy CL460 and I'm still on the original 4 filters that came with the unit, 8 years and running now.

No backwashing my precious warm clean treated water out to waste.

No, you remove them from the canister and clean them manually. Some love this method but I look at it as a downside to cartridge filters. But, if you get a big enough cartridge filter you may only have to clean it once or twice a year. Budget about an hour & a half to clean them.

I am currently cleaning my DE filter at least twice per year now. That isn't including when I backwash.

This cartridge deal sounds awesome!! Changing out filters with my remodel.

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Again, great support from this great site.

(I'm posting pics of my pool remodel in http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/91377-North-Texas-Pool-Remodel-has-started!!-(Updates-with-pics-as-we-go)?p=785408#post785408. Only on day 2 of work so far).

We have a big Pentair cartridge filter. We also have lots of trees that drop lots of stuff in our pool. We usually have to clean them 2 or 3 times in spring and 2 or three times in fall. Don't even ask how often you have to clean them if you decide to grow some algae. Agree with the hour and a half to clean them.

But, no wasting water and chemicals backwashing. And it does keep the pool clean. It has 4 cartridges, 50 bucks each for Pleatco. Cartridges last at least 3 years.

I have a Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter which was installed when my pool was built 9 years ago. I replaced them in March last year (third set) with Pleatco filters for $150 for all 4. I clean them about every 2 months during swim season primarily to wash out the build-up of sun screen, and other oils and contaminants, or if the pressure rises to twice the psi that I record when they are new/clean. For example, when my filters were new, the psi was 8, so when the pressure heads to 14 to 15, I will clean them. The only other time I give them a thorough clean is when I've had an algae attack, which I just did and had to SLAM my pool, and during that process I cleaned them 3 times until my pool was crystal clean, then once more to flush out any remaining crud.

It's not really a long, or painful process, and usually takes me about 45 minutes. The best part is my 5 year old loves to help because he pretends he's a fireman!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.