Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you not backwash cartridge filter? (changing filters during remodel)

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you not backwash cartridge filter? (changing filters during remodel)

I am changing from a DE filter to a cartridge filter. I was reading up on them but haven't seen anything on backwashing. Do you not backwash a cartridge filter?
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you not backwash cartridge filter? (changing filters during remodel)

No, you remove them from the canister and clean them manually. Some love this method but I look at it as a downside to cartridge filters. But, if you get a big enough cartridge filter you may only have to clean it once or twice a year. Budget about an hour & a half to clean them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

No you do not. You just change the filter every couple weeks. Other option is to take it out and rinse it daily and you might get an extra week of life.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    No you do not. You just change the filter every couple weeks. Other option is to take it out and rinse it daily and you might get an extra week of life.
    While that is true of Intex filters, the cartridges for large pool filters can last for years. That's good thing because some systems use more than one, and they aren't cheap.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

If you get an oversized filter you will not have to clean it often if you don't get algae and keep your water clean. I have not cleaned mine in two years and I just hit the 25% mark which means it needs cleaning. It is not recommended to go this long in cleaning even if you don't hit the 25% mark. I know my pool really well. We net it daily and it is nearly always free of debris with the help of our Polaris 280. I also ALWAYS keep my water balanced 24x7x365 and that helps a lot. I know that these filters can be a real PITA if you get algae. Cleaning filters is not nearly as easy as back washing. The upside is you don't have to backwash losing water, CYA, and salt. Some municipalities restrict back washing of saltwater or DE into sewer systems so take that into account. That said, I LOVE my cartridge filter!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    While that is true of Intex filters, the cartridges for large pool filters can last for years. That's good thing because some systems use more than one, and they aren't cheap.
    I did not look at her pool size. I imagine the larger filter cartridges are not cheap.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Like others have said before me, get a large filter and you'll only have to clean it once a year. I see a 2psi rise over the course of a year, but I usually clean them in the late spring anyway. I have the Jandy CL460 and I'm still on the original 4 filters that came with the unit, 8 years and running now.

No backwashing my precious warm clean treated water out to waste.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    No, you remove them from the canister and clean them manually. Some love this method but I look at it as a downside to cartridge filters. But, if you get a big enough cartridge filter you may only have to clean it once or twice a year. Budget about an hour & a half to clean them.

I am currently cleaning my DE filter at least twice per year now. That isn't including when I backwash.

This cartridge deal sounds awesome!! Changing out filters with my remodel.

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Again, great support from this great site.

(I'm posting pics of my pool remodel in http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...408#post785408. Only on day 2 of work so far).
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

We have a big Pentair cartridge filter. We also have lots of trees that drop lots of stuff in our pool. We usually have to clean them 2 or 3 times in spring and 2 or three times in fall. Don't even ask how often you have to clean them if you decide to grow some algae. Agree with the hour and a half to clean them.

But, no wasting water and chemicals backwashing. And it does keep the pool clean. It has 4 cartridges, 50 bucks each for Pleatco. Cartridges last at least 3 years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter which was installed when my pool was built 9 years ago. I replaced them in March last year (third set) with Pleatco filters for $150 for all 4. I clean them about every 2 months during swim season primarily to wash out the build-up of sun screen, and other oils and contaminants, or if the pressure rises to twice the psi that I record when they are new/clean. For example, when my filters were new, the psi was 8, so when the pressure heads to 14 to 15, I will clean them. The only other time I give them a thorough clean is when I've had an algae attack, which I just did and had to SLAM my pool, and during that process I cleaned them 3 times until my pool was crystal clean, then once more to flush out any remaining crud.

It's not really a long, or painful process, and usually takes me about 45 minutes. The best part is my 5 year old loves to help because he pretends he's a fireman!
    10.5K IG gunnite pool with micro-pebble finish in Caribbean blue with Baja step. Haywood main filter with Perry's Pool Pump 1hp motor. Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter. Circupool RJ30 SWG system. TF100 test kit with Speedstir. Floating beer cooler.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the responses.
    Plano, TX

12. Back To Top    #12

Anyone have a good source online where to buy them? Mines is $100.
    AQUARITE SWG SYSTEM, HAYWARD T15 CELL, CARTRIDGE FILTER, 23K RECTANGLE POOL , MARCITE FINISH, TF 100 Test kit

"LIVE EACH DAY AS IF IT WERE YOUR LAST"

13. Back To Top    #13

For ones I need - CL-340 - amazon has always been the cheapest source.
    10.5K IG gunnite pool with micro-pebble finish in Caribbean blue with Baja step. Haywood main filter with Perry's Pool Pump 1hp motor. Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter. Circupool RJ30 SWG system. TF100 test kit with Speedstir. Floating beer cooler.