Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand coming from return

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Arrow Sand coming from return

Ok most of you know I have been slamming. I generally only backwash when flow from return slows or if when pressure rises with DE in filter. I noticed despite vacuuming that I would have a teaspoon/tablespoon of sand in pool after backwashing and rinsing. I vacuumed it up again and then decided to put a skimmer sock over the return to see if it was spitting sand. Low and behold it is. I will post the pic of it in a minute. Please not the pic was taken in shade and I had the phone real close so clarity of water looks funny.

Here is the pic, see the sand in the toe?

Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand coming from return

A couple possibilities: sand was already in the line of your vacuum hose, sand was blown in or pushed in from handle of hand vacuum, left over from in skimmer basket and broke loose, small hole in filter media, small amount was stuck in plumbing lines or Multiport valve and finally washed out(sight glass)
    Just guessing sorry.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights View Post
    A couple possibilities: sand was already in the line of your vacuum hose, sand was blown in or pushed in from handle of hand vacuum, left over from in skimmer basket and broke loose, small hole in filter media, small amount was stuck in plumbing lines or Multiport valve and finally washed out(sight glass)
    Just guessing sorry.
    There is usually a small amount in the glass bubble. I wondered if that might be where it was coming from. I try to get it all out of there in the rinse and will sometimes even do a waste removal to get it out of there.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

how old is your filter? have you ever deep cleaned it? If the sand is channeled, it can allow sand into the return line.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

since you were doing so much backwashing, it might be also that all the frequent backwashing just disturned the sand a lot, and some of it is spitting out and may settle down in a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    There is usually a small amount in the glass bubble. I wondered if that might be where it was coming from. I try to get it all out of there in the rinse and will sometimes even do a waste removal to get it out of there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

ahhh ok.

yeah I think now i remember you saying that.

I would just keep a eye on it for a few days and see if it settles down. If not, we'll look for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    how old is your filter? have you ever deep cleaned it? If the sand is channeled, it can allow sand into the return line.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

since you were doing so much backwashing, it might be also that all the frequent backwashing just disturned the sand a lot, and some of it is spitting out and may settle down in a day or 2.
    It is new. Got it about 3 weeks ago. We had the cartrige filter that came with the pool until then.
    Lisa

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know if it's what you have, but here we have very fine dust, and it made it through a similar sand filter/pool setup as yours. It was stuff that was fine, but heavy enough to settle quickly. Very, very fine sand that didn't cloud the water really, unless there was a lot. DE would help, but it was a forever battle.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I suppose this is prolly a very likely scenario. I dont have any experience with fine sand like Patrick has out West, so I never though about that, but it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I don't know if it's what you have, but here we have very fine dust, and it made it through a similar sand filter/pool setup as yours. It was stuff that was fine, but heavy enough to settle quickly. Very, very fine sand that didn't cloud the water really, unless there was a lot. DE would help, but it was a forever battle.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Thanks. I am new to the sand filter. I still have the skimmer sock tied on with a piece of bailing twine.if you don't think the little bit of sand will affect me finishing up the SLAM I will take it off today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I suppose this is prolly a very likely scenario. I dont have any experience with fine sand like Patrick has out West, so I never though about that, but it makes perfect sense.
    We have high winds and I know some fine sand comes from the air, but at least it is not clouding the pool. I also know my husband has a pile of fertilized dirt that has blown in as I have a few rust dots on the bottom. I will see if I have any Emergen C to take care of that or pick up some vitamin C tabs. Not super worried about it right now.
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

It won't, but now we may have a clue about your pool SLAM. You do not want that fertilizer in your pool. Don't fret over the rust specs if you can help it. You'll be upgrading next year anyway I bet.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It won't, but now we may have a clue about your pool SLAM. You do not want that fertilizer in your pool. Don't fret over the rust specs if you can help it. You'll be upgrading next year anyway I bet.
    Yes, I see an upgrade next year. Or at least a new one the same size. The wind blew really bad after the dirt was delivered and I am sure that is when it got in there.
    Lisa