Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Scottsdale, AZ

1. Back To Top    #1
    Scottsdale, AZ

Hello from Scottsdale, AZ

I have been on here a few months now reading posts, pool school, and even posting a few questions. I am in the planning/design phase for an owner/build in-ground shotcrete pool with about a 20,000 gallon capacity. Right now I am leaning towards a cartridge filter, SWG, variable speed pump (maybe 2), pebble sheen, attached spa, sheer decent water feature, baja step and possibly some fire pots.

I am really on the fence as far as in-floor cleaners. I want one if I have confidence in it working correctly but many post on here have told me they don't (others love them). I have desert landscaping and would only be getting dust in the pool for the most part.

I look forward to learning as much as I can here and plan to post my progress once I get a design going.

I work in the construction industry and understand how things are built. That being said, I know there is no perfect construction project but think it will be fun/challenging to take on the GC role. Any advise to offer a newbie would be appreciated.

20 X 32 Geometric| Depth 4-5.5-4.5| Attached Spa w/6' spillway| 6 back jets w/2 floor jets| Sheer wall with 3 decents| Pentair easy touch 8 | Pentair Variable Speed main pump| Pentair 1.5 HP Sheer Pump| IC-60 SWG| Screen Logic| Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter| Pentair 400K BTU Heater| 1.5 HP Blower| 2- 5G Pentair Pool Lights| 1- Pentair Spa Light| Blue Surf Pebble Sheen|TF 100 | Owner Builder

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Hello from Scottsdale, AZ

Welcome to TFP. I can't help with in-floor system as I don't have one, but from what I see folks either love or hate them. There is not much middle ground.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

The infloor can work pretty well if you mostly just have dust (which we do) that is kept suspended and filtered out. I had one at previous house and it kept 95% of the pool clean, but the dirt would gather in a few corners that I would have to sweep or vacuum up.

One other downside is that you have a run a big pump for a goo many hours to keep the pool clean with them and that results in a higher energy bill.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Clint!

Welcome to TFP, we look forward to having you with us.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to the forum Clint!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter