Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: US Patent for removing CYA from Pool Water - US4793935 A

1. Back To Top    #1
    Keller, Texas

US Patent for removing CYA from Pool Water - US4793935 A

I ran across this US Patent for removing CYA from Pool Water. (This is not related to the Bioactive threads)

Here's a link

And here's a Wiki article that has some information about melamine reacting with CYA to form an insoluble precipitate.

From what I understand the CYA test uses melamine which clouds the water with the precipitate, when is then used to perform the turbidity test.

Since this patent doesn't seem to have found commercial application, I'm wondering why. Safety? Economics? Not practical for some other reason?

27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: US Patent for removing CYA from Pool Water - US4793935 A

It is too problematic. There was a commercial product that worked this way and it had all kinds of problems.

The main issue is that just like with the CYA test, it tended to cloud up the pool in a way that does not clear at all easily. It was also rather expensive, though it is unclear if that was fundamental to their approach, or just a business decision.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School