Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Support for Tile counter overhang

1. Back To Top    #1

Support for Tile counter overhang

Going to start my ODK build and am trying to visualize the tile countertop overhang. The countertop will be all one level, about 34 inches wide with a 24 inch base so about a 10 inch overhang for seating.

How do I need to support the overhang? Would 1/2 inch plywood and 1/2 inch hardi provide enough support or do I need to frame some support for it?

Also how do I mount the electrical boxes to stick out 1.5 inches? Going to rock the sides so need the boxes to stick out some.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Support for Tile counter overhang

I would think that with a 10" overhang the plywood & hardi backer would have a little too much flex. Add a couple corbels?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    NE Kansas

Don't forget the weight of people's elbows as the lean on the edge, some try to sit on the edge or just "rest" their butts on it. A lot of added weight. I'm currently building mine and am going to use doubled steel studs sticking straight out and then add angles or corbels for the needed support. Like the image here:
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Friendswood, TX

The overhang definitely needs supported. You could use metal t bars to try to discreetly support the weight. How long is the counter?

As for the boxes, I set mine in the stone. They are mortared in place.
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here