Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timer Recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Timer Recommendations

Pool construction was completed at the end of last season. We are now trying to complete the electrical before the pool is opened this week. I would like to use a timer to control the pump and SWG. However, since we have bubblers in the wet deck I'm not sure which timer would work best. Would one of the Intermatic mechanical timers found at Lowes work? I can't tell if these would have the manual override to allow us to activate the pump to start the bubblers.

Thank you
    IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Timer Recommendations

The Mechanical Intermatic timers are near bulletproof and have a lever you can throw to turn the pump on/off whenever you want (with one caveat ... if the time happens to be very close to where the pin would trip the lever off, you can not manually turn it on due to mechanical interference).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an intermatic T104R. It lets you switch it on and off manually whenever you want. When the timer gets back to whatever time you have it set for it will turn it back off on its own. I think they all have that feature.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the quick replies. To follow up on this. Is there any problem with installing the timer, SWG and light control pannels indoors? We have a finished basement and our pool equipment is located just outside and adjacent to our main breaker box.
    IG 21,600 vinyl gal 38'x20' 3.5'/8', Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Auto Pilot Salt Chlorine Generator RC 28. 2 LED lights, 2 bubblers.

5. Back To Top    #5

Timer Recommendations

As long as it is installed to code, shouldn't be any problem.

Edit: I believe you would still have to have a disconnect by the equipment to be up to code.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the T101PCD82 http://www.intermatic.com/en/Product...T101PCD82.aspx

Intermatic mechanical timers are the way to go. They are limited to 1 hour separations between ON/OFF but I can't think of a reason I'd ever need it closer together than that.

You could certainly install them indoors but that wouldn't be very user friendly. For normal daily usage I'm sure that would be fine, but during start up, cleaning other duties where you want control of the pool, by or within sight of the pool, that would be a pain.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a walk out basement with windows facing the pool where the controls would be mounted. No windows facing the pool equipment. Would this be ok or is it best to keep the timer outside with pump & SWG?

Thanks,

8. Back To Top    #8

I too have the dual Intermatic mechanical timer and it has been pretty good except for the freeze protection switches. I've had two failed switches in the past 8 years. Second failure was this winter and very costly.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Trusting any freeze protection is risky at best. Easy enough to make sure you run the pump with the temps drop overnight. That is what I do.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Electrical is now finished. I had the controls for the SWG, lights and timer installed in our finished basement. A on/off switch was also installed outside near the pump and SWG.