I emptied the pump basket and WOOSH - AGAIN

Sep 22, 2014
Honduras
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
LOTS of dirt came out of the jets after I turned the pump back on.

It's like everything that was filtered in the last week in now back in the pool. I know that I can set the valve to rinse next time, but what is causing this?

Drew
Honduras

Re: I emptied the pump basket and WOOSH

LOTS of dirt came out of the jets after I turned the pump back on.

It's like everything that was filtered in the last week in now back in the pool. I know that I can set the valve to rinse next time, but what is causing this?

Drew
Honduras

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature so we can see what equipment we are dealing with.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

i guess that information would be helpful.

I have a 4900 gallon in-ground concrete pool running an Aquatools AT3115 sand filter with a Pentair 261186 top-mount multi-valve and a STA-RITE JWPA5EL-2A one-speed 1hp pump. One skimmer, three jets, and one main drain that has been clogged with some kind of construction debris since before I moved in. I would guess that the pool is somewhere around 5 years old. There is no other equipment. I'm using a very basic test kit that measures pH and chlorine.

Dave, I have been leaving the valve in the Filter position. I'll use the Closed position from now on. But this has just started happening the last two times that I cleaned the pump basket.

Drew

Hi everyone. I opened the basket again today, this time with the multivalve set to closed, and the same thing happened again.

Can anyone help, please?

When you open the basket, you are venting the plumbing which allows water to gravity flow in both directions. If your equipment is above or below your water line by much, this can do strange things. It could be disturbing the dirt on top of the sand bed allowing it to get into the wrong path and return to the pool. Chances are this is telling you something is wrong. Not enough sand, a bad multiport gasket or damaged parts within the filter.

Can you describe everything you are doing that leads to this? If you are backwashing the filter, make sure you go for at least a couple of minutes. Follow that with at least a 30 second rinse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.