Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello

I have been reading the website with respect to increasing pH while maintaining TA.

I understand that Borax has two uses in TFP.

1. To increase the pH while having minimal effect on TA

2. As a CL stabilizer? Where one needs to maintain 50 ppm of Borate. I guess it helps decrease the amount of CL needed and makes the pool sparkle?

Recently I did a partial drain (40%) and my starting pH is below 6.8, obviously the lowest number on the test block. I fell into the trap of chasing the pH by adding baking soda. Please see my numbers below.

I really don’t want to use Borax because I don’t want the hassle of having to measure another test (borate levels), nor do I want something else in the pool that can only be decreased by removing water.

That brings me to my question regarding aeration. I have a submersible pump. What can I buy off the self to use as an aeration device? Does the water have to spray over the pool to be effective?

Thanks so much.

pH < 6.8
FC- 6.0
CC- 0.0
TA - 200
CH - 150
CYA - 28

There is absolutely no reason to avoid using borax, nor do you need to test the borate level when only using borax to adjust PH. However, in your current situation, with very high TA, aeration would be the best way to raise the PH.

Using either the main pool pump, or a separate submersible pump to make a fountain of some kind is an easy way to create aeration. For the largest possible effect you want something with many separate jets praying down towards the water, but just about any kind of fountain will work.

Skippy just puts the sump pump on the top step in the pool water and uses a short piece of garden hose tied to the pool grab bar to discharge the water directly back into the pool. The hose is high enough that it makes a bit of a splash when the water re-enters the pool so it helps aerate the water.

As a side note, make sure the pump you use is rated for a pool or that it is not on when anyone is in the pool. I have a 1/5hp submersible pump, and it says specifically not for pool use on the side; even though it is grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.

I will rig up an aerator with my pump.

I will buy some Borax, PM recommends 110 Oz by dry volume. So I guess you only have to measure Borate levels when you are using Borax chronically? correct?

Now that I am stuck with a TA of 200, by my own fault, is Areation my only option to lower the TA? Or do I need another partial pool draining. It's really a shame, because my water source had a TA of 120.... I am idiot. But this is the first time I have done a partial drain.

Thanks

About $7 of pvc pipe and a drill bit.
Screws right into the return fitting.
1e12e65fb1605c5ded505cb395e8946f.jpg

I did it initially to cool the water. Unintended consequence was the Ph rise which, with a SWG pool, is bad enough. But my pool was 95 degrees and almost unswimmable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait a minute, PM shows I will increase my TA by another 41... that's bad. It does show borate will go to 18. And pH will raise 2.3. My understanding is that a borate level less than 50 is ok? Is borate only lowered by draining the pool?

Do I have time to lower the TA gently, vinyl liner, or do I need to do it quick.

thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Bdex, thanks for the pic. Is the spray pipe about 2 FT long?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the link. I have read it a few times. So my options are limited. Aerate to raise PH (no effect on TA), then when the pH goes to 7.6, add acid and repeat the cycle. I understand that will take days.

So do I have the time to use this method or should I start over and do a partial drain and get back to the TA of 120 where I started before adding the baking soda. In other words how serious is a TA of 200 on my vinyl liner...... hope that makes sense.

The TA will have ZERO effect on your liner. You could completely ignore TA and just keep your pH in range. The higher TA will just mean the pH will rise faster and require more frequent additions of acid to keep it in range. This will in turn also slowly lower the TA. The process I linked to above is only if you want to try to force the TA to drop faster, but there is no real requirement to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.