Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating my above ground pool please help

1. Back To Top    #1

Scappoose Oregon

Question Heating my above ground pool please help

Hello thank you for the add to your group.. Can someone please help me figure out how to heat my above ground 5,000 gal pool ... any idieas would be great thank you so much !!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Heating my above ground pool please help

Welcome to TFP! To start it off there are three choices.
    Solar panels, needs sunny southern exposure
    Heat pump, best for maintaining constant heat level
    Gas/propane heater, best for occasional heating or quick temp bump

Solar has lowest operating cost, heat pump is generally next lowest then gas then propane. Propane is usually quite a bit more expensive than gas. The cost differential to heat with a heat pump vs gas really depends on how much and how often you heat.

There are pool heating calculators online, but I haven't used one recently.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Are you using a cover on the pool at night? Just that will help to retain a lot of the heat that the sun adds throughout the day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Souderton, PA

We are using solar heat here and if you have a good south or southwest area that you can put the solar panels up on a roof or another structure that gets good midday sun they are very economical. We live in Pennsylvania and our pool temperatures stayed pretty consistently in the upper 80's to low 90's all summer. I have been in my pool a few times already this year with the solar panels on and we are having a very cool spring so far. I have extended our pool season into October both the years we have used it. It has been very economical and essentially trouble free. Others here also use propane, gas, and heat pump. Most here who started with propane switched from it to another method due to cost of operation. solar has been easy for us and essentially free not counting buying the panels. Almost forgot, we do use a solar cover to keep the heat in at night. Without it the pool loses several degrees each night as I have found out when I was too lazy to put the cover back on.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Oakbank, Canada

First thing, do you have natural gas? If not, then your options just got less.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.