Replace DE Filter with Cartridge System?

Nov 12, 2014
Chico, CA
I'm a new pool owner and trying to learn as much as possible. This site has been a big help.

My FNS Plus DE Filter grids and assembly are very old and leaking and must be replaced. Since the grids and assembly need to be replaced, the pool store recommended replacing the DE filter with a new cartridge filter due to the lower maintenance involved.

Do you think that the lower maintenance requirements of a cartridge filter would be worth the additional $500 cost for a new cartridge filter system?

Welcome to TFP!

That really depends on what you are familiar with and what kind of filter you like. Each kind has both advantages and disadvantages. DE gets debris out of the pool more quickly, but requires more attention. Cartridges save water (no backwashing) but some people find them very annoying to clean.

If you have been happy with DE and don't have water shortage problems, then I suggest sticking with DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.