Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace DE Filter with Cartridge System?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chico, CA

Replace DE Filter with Cartridge System?

I'm a new pool owner and trying to learn as much as possible. This site has been a big help.

My FNS Plus DE Filter grids and assembly are very old and leaking and must be replaced. Since the grids and assembly need to be replaced, the pool store recommended replacing the DE filter with a new cartridge filter due to the lower maintenance involved.

Do you think that the lower maintenance requirements of a cartridge filter would be worth the additional $500 cost for a new cartridge filter system?
    20,000 gallon inground gunite pool. 1.5hp Whisperflo Filter Pump. Pentair FNS PLUS DE Filter 48 sqft.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Replace DE Filter with Cartridge System?

Welcome to TFP!

That really depends on what you are familiar with and what kind of filter you like. Each kind has both advantages and disadvantages. DE gets debris out of the pool more quickly, but requires more attention. Cartridges save water (no backwashing) but some people find them very annoying to clean.

If you have been happy with DE and don't have water shortage problems, then I suggest sticking with DE.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School