Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How To Repair Fafco Sungrabber Solar Panel?

1. Back To Top    #1

How To Repair Fafco Sungrabber Solar Panel?

I'd like to hear some suggestions as to how to repair leaks while still allowing the flow of water? Their Plugs just disable the tube, would rather use something that still allows the water to flow.
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How To Repair Fafco Sungrabber Solar Panel?

Fixing a leak in one of the small tubes without blocking the tube is very difficult and tends to just fail again. Leaks should be rare enough that blocking a tube here and there does not cause any issues.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

what Jason said.

Blocking a tube shouldn't have much if any of impact.

I found 2 leaking tubes on 2 different panels on my roof this past weekend and repaired them
    with 1/4" nylon bolts with the head cut off and some liquid nails silicone adhesive. easy.

one of them was "repaired" without blocking it. someone had used a jb weld type goop on
    the tube covering it....it was leaking. After repairing it the proper way with a plug it doesn't leak at all.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    what Jason said.

Blocking a tube shouldn't have much if any of impact.

I found 2 leaking tubes on 2 different panels on my roof this past weekend and repaired them
    with 1/4" nylon bolts with the head cut off and some liquid nails silicone adhesive. easy.

one of them was "repaired" without blocking it. someone had used a jb weld type goop on
    the tube covering it....it was leaking. After repairing it the proper way with a plug it doesn't leak at all.
    I was thinking of maybe getting 1/4" I.D. tubing (the kind used for garden irrigation) and pvc gluing it over the area leaking. I think 1/4" might be the right size? I would have to cut the tube from the panel so it is not connected on sides and is individual then just cut out leak, apply glue slide into tubing, same on other end.

That should fix and not leak

Costs about $9 for 50ft of tubing
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

PVC glue will not really stick to the type of plastic that the solar panels are made out of ... nothing really sticks to it, thus the need for mechanical repairs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe you can buy a spare panel and use tubes off of it to repair the ones on the roof. Does the company sell spare tubes so you wouldn't have to cut tubes off a panel?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100