Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Milky haze on Flagstone

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Milky haze on Flagstone

I have a Saltwater Pool. It's ~10yrs old. We have owned the house for a year. Chemicals have always(well mostly) been in balance.

Just in the past few weeks I noticed this white haze around the spa.

I am assuming the flagstone is not sealed.
    Any idea what could of caused this? It's a pretty drastic color change and seemed to just appear. It certainly wasn't there last year and did not seem to gradually color.

I have read that washing with Muriatic Acid should clean it off.

Thank you in advance!

Attachment 35741

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Milky haze on Flagstone

Does water tend to splash onto there? That looks like minerals left from evaporation. However, I can't think of anything that would cause that to appear suddenly, unless water just started constantly spraying onto there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Does water tend to splash onto there? That looks like minerals left from evaporation. However, I can't think of anything that would cause that to appear suddenly, unless water just started constantly spraying onto there.

Thank you for your prompt response. I am sure it wasn't an overnight thing. It's on the far end of the pool and I just noticed it one day.

What's the best way to acid wash a small area? A disposable spay bottle and a brush?

4. Back To Top    #4

A natural bristle brush is what I would use and dilute the acid with water. 4 parts water to 1 part acid at first is my recommendation. Go from there.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

If you spray a little muriatic acid does it bubble? If it does use the mixture above with a brush. I had a calcium build up and a wire brush and muriatic acid was the only thing that took care of it.

19K gallon free-formed w/ 60% Color Quartz plaster
    3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward 1.85 hp TriStar VS Pool & 1.25 hp water feature pump - Cartridge Filter
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa
    20' weeping moss rock wall - 5' x 8' tanning ledge with bubbler