7d2b777671da6f5289bb1dda99017bf9.jpg

I got that when I got home from getting certified. I took two scuba classes in college, and went to Cozumel for spring break to do the dives to get certified. We did all the initial work in the college pool. Sadly that trip was the last time I was diving. Now I have a pool, and I have to wear an scba for fire training at work. I just have to pretend I'm underwater during fire training. Closest I'll be to diving for a while unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got certified on the Great Barrier Reef back in Jan 2005. Wife got certified in Himalaya Bay, MX in Oct 2005. We went diving in Cozumel, MX in 2006 which was the first and last time we really went diving together. Then had a few kids who are now a few years away from getting them into classes to be certified :D

I got certified on the Great Barrier Reef back in Jan 2005. Wife got certified in Himalaya Bay, MX in Oct 2005. We went diving in Cozumel, MX in 2006 which was the first and last time we really went diving together. Then had a few kids who are now a few years away from getting them into classes to be certified :D

My kids are 8, 5, 3, & <1. Gonna be a while before I get them diving. My wife has never been, but I think she would probably like it.

Mine are going to be 6 and 8 ... so yeah, still 4 years away. Hopefully this summer I will get them out snorkeling in Rocky Point, MX or maybe find somewhere around San Diego ... I think they will LOVE it.

I got my certification in preparation for my honeymoon (wife was already certified)
Did the classes at a shop that had a pool and my checkout dives were at the Channel Islands.
Most of our away vacations are in warm places centered around diving every other year or so.
One of the reasons we just built our pool was our love of being in the water.
There is something magical about the weightless feeling and surrounded by crystal clear
water and fish. Go as much as you can before the reefs disappear.

I was in the process of getting my dive ticket in St Thomas in '87. Gorgeous water and lots of neat stuff to see. the dive classes were at Koki Point. Everything was going great until I saw a small shark. Tried to be :calm: but I just couldn't.

And that was that. I will stay in the boat! Thank you!
:shark:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THIS is awesome!! Ive been to Australia 4 times, but never made it to GBR. Got stuck in Perth, Alice Springs twice, and Darwin.
If I ever go back again, Im taking time for myself and go to that reef!

Took this picture as we were doing our 10' stop in the GBR :D
View attachment 35757

- - - Updated - - -

Although one of my favorite encounters was with these cuttlefish:
View attachment 35758

- - - Updated - - -

Yup.

Shark=I'm fishing, not diving

Got certified back in the 1980's went on to get my open water instructor certification, went on to teach for a few years before having an ear injury that still limits the amount of diving I can do.

Got certified in 1973.

Became a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor around 1980

Became a PADI Course Director around 1982

Ran a dive store (actually we had one big and two remote stores) including about 20 instructors and 3 dive boats

Decided that making a hobby a profession took all the fun out of it and stopped teaching

Only dive for fun now. We just got back from Ocho Rios Jamaica

Jason,

PADI age limit for diving has been reduced to 10, so you only have two years to wait:eek:
The minimum age is 10 years old (in most areas). Student divers who are younger than 15 earn the PADI Junior Open Water Diver certification, which they may upgrade to PADI Open Water Diver certification upon reaching 15.

I got certified on the island of Guam back in 1974. Been diving off and on ever since. I have done 2 shark dives. Being in the water during a shark feeding frenzy is a HUGE rush. :shark::party:

That's where I was certified as well! I really miss that island, lots of awesome dives. The reefs were amazing. I didn't do any of the wreck dives, or the Blue Hole. I did get to do a nice drift dive out by Cocoa's Island, and a really neat night dive at the Piti bomb hole.

jbizzle, those are really cool pictures. I can't recall ever seeing sharks out in Guam but I did get to see a large sea turtle, a lion fish, a few moray eels, a nudibranch (night dive), and a school of barracuda.

That's where I was certified as well! I really miss that island, lots of awesome dives. The reefs were amazing. I didn't do any of the wreck dives, or the Blue Hole. I did get to do a nice drift dive out by Cocoa's Island, and a really neat night dive at the Piti bomb hole.

I loved that island too. :party: I was sent there, for an 18 month naval tour and finally left 4 years later. :laughblue:

I was able to dive all the reefs, the 3 war time wreaks in Apra Harbour and the Carbia 2 weeks after it sank in the mouth of the harbour in 1974. I had the absolute joy of being on a dive that discovered the location of a fully intact Japanese Zero that had been shot down and landed on the harbour side of the Glass Breakwater. We kept that location secret for about 6 months. Unfortunately, after its location got out, other divers started to strip it for "souvenirs". :brickwall:

Before I finally was transferred back stateside, I got to dive on Piti, Siapan, and Truk.

Ah, those were the days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.