Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Bulbs

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Bulbs

So I fill my pool, figure out the chemicals, smile, then turn on the pool light. On! Then off...

Light bulb blew. Secured power, tried to unscrew the stripped out retaining screw, finally got it out, not enough cable to get the light on the deck. Disconnect power, attach a string and pull the light on deck. Open up the Pentair light fixture. You kidding me? That's a track lighting 100W light bulb! How can that thing cost so much at the pool store? (No answer required)

So, can I just replace this bulb with a regular bulb from Home Depot, or is an actuall pool light bulb required? How about a nice, bright LED?

Thanks in advance,

Ed
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light Bulbs

If you are going to stick with a regular bulb, order from Amazon. They are 400 or 500 watts, not from Home Depot.

They do make LED replacements but expect to spend several hundred dollars.

In either case you should replace the lens gasket at the same time, another $15 or so.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Copy all, assuming the Pentair case can handle 400W? And not to cheap out, but the gasket seems to be in good shape - is it standard procedure to replace? You know, what's $15 when you are considering putting your kids into a swimming pool with an old gasket?
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

4. Back To Top    #4

400 is the smallest as I understand. When I cracked mine open I found that the previous owner had installed a 100w floodlight bulb and the gasket was really mangled up, so I guess he didn't change it. They are all standard Edison base bulbs.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Copy all, perusing the link you sent - thanks!