Grey Plaster or white??

Aug 28, 2008
I like the way the dark blue water looks from grey plaster, but then i like how clear blue water looks when clean with white plaster.

I know that a white plaster will be better for SPECTRUM AMERLITE lighting. With grey plaster , i may have to add more lights.(17X32 6 FOOT DEEP END POOL)$$$.

I know that i will have less glare from a darker plaster, this is what is pushing me to get grey plaster for darker blue water.

Any advice on which to choose and why..

I LIKE THE WAY THIS POOL LOOKS GREAT JOB WATERBEAR!! :goodjob:
waterbear-s-pool-pics-t167.html?hilit=POOL%20PICS

You already seem to have a good idea of the primary issues. One secondary issue is that calcium scaling shows up rather obviously on gray plaster, while it is often nearly invisible on white plaster. Proper chemical balancing can prevent calcium scaling from ever occurring, but it happens often enough despite that.

You have a tough decision to make! Ours is white, our neighbor has grey. I like his water color better, but don't like the mottling he has. I was told to stay away from grey for that reason. I can be obsessive about uniformity of color, so PB said I had to have white, LOL. It's a clean, classic look and it's very pleasing to me *most* of the time. There are a few times depending on the light when I'll look out and say "We should have gone darker on the finish".

Vegasmom said:
You have a tough decision to make! Ours is white, our neighbor has grey. I like his water color better, but don't like the mottling he has. I was told to stay away from grey for that reason. I can be obsessive about uniformity of color, so PB said I had to have white, LOL. It's a clean, classic look and it's very pleasing to me *most* of the time. There are a few times depending on the light when I'll look out and say "We should have gone darker on the finish".

What is mottling? what exactly does it look like? Photo's would be great..

We have medium grey and love it the water color. Mottling is the marble-like differences in the final product. The grey plaster goes on a uniform color, but when the water is in and everything is done, it is not a uniform color. I will say that if our PB told us that the color differences would be so dramatic, I'm not sure we would've picked it. However, now that we have it, we really like it and the neighbors complement it too. Obviously the differences in color are more dramatic on the ledge, steps and shallow end. You do notice it in the deep end, but it's less pronounce.

I decided to go with white because I like the lighter blue color. If you like the darker color you might consider some of the other finishes such as Pebble Tec, Fina, etc. or even Quartz. I think these produce a more uniform color finish.

DSC00959.JPG"%20

Will mottle on grey plaster ever go away?
I did some reading and understand the idea of why mottling takes place.(Parts of the plaster dry differently than other parts, giving the kind of light and dark areas).

Back to my question , is this permanent or will the darker areas lighten up over time? I was reading that when filling the pool after plastering where the water is introduced into the pool, is where most of the mottling will take place.(Putting the hose in the deep end causes more mottling in the deep end of the pool).
I have read different ideas on grey plaster and why mottling takes place. Some say different drying times, others say the mixing of the plaster. Nevertheless, mottling is something that is just part of having a darker plaster. It is very difficult to control when applying plaster.
I spoke to a PB that said, that if chemicals are kept up correctly the mottling will be less over time??

Has anyone that has had grey plaster seen the mottling dissapear over time?
What is the correct method of introducing water into a new pool to reduce mottle, if at all?

Mottling tends to get worse with time and even happens on plain white pools as well. Take a look at older pools and you will see a big difference. It is just starting to happen with mine but because it is white it is very difficult to tell. It is just the nature of the beast.

Again, there are other surfaces than plaster which are better suited for color. Quartz is not that much more than plaster and will not mottle as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.