Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
First time tester, long time reader here.

Received my test kit today! YAY. So I had to test my tap water, of course, since we don't break ground on the pool for a week. We are on a community well if that matters. I'm hoping y'all can tell me by the numbers if I did it right?

Chlorine drop test
Turned pink
Added 1 drop went to clear
So .25 ppm?

Combined Chlorine
Clear (didn't go pink)

Alkalinity
17 drops to go red
So 170 ppm?

Calcium Hardness
Turned red
7 drops to turn blue
So 175 ppm?

CYA
I could see the black dot the entire time.

I need help reading the PH test - I'm thinking.5 on yellow and 7.5 on the pink??

image.jpg

If you used 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD test, then 1 drop would be a FC 0.5ppm

The OTO is around 0.5 ... just like the FAS-DPD reported.

I would put the pH around 7.5 also.

Everything else seems reasonable ... TX water seems to have high TA and CH and there should be 0ppm of CYA in tap water.

A tip for calcium on the shower head.

Vinegar is cheaper than lime away. Fill ziploc bag with vinegar. Put it around your shower head. Secure with a GOOD rubber band. Make sure all the holes are in the vinegar.

Go to sleep. Wake up to a nice new shiny shower head.

Hey guys - I am creating a cheat sheet for my testing log - I THINK I should test the FC and PH daily - how often should I test:
CC
TA
CH
CYA
(I realize if there is a problem, I will need to monitor more closely)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do a complete test once a week. But have 3 years of testing weekly under my belt so unless something goes sideways I just test and do my preventative dosing on Saturday am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK since you guys have been so nice and helping me so much - let me give you a few questions - I think I am confused on a few things.

*So I have the TF-100 - so I know to test the PH and Chlorine daily with the little box thing and match the colors. - yeah, I know that isn't the technical term for it. The Chlorine Drop Test is a confusing part for me.

*The Chlorine Drop Test. - How often should I do this?

*TC - Ok - so when I do the Chlorine Drop Test the last sentence on the test says The Total of FC and CC should be recorded as Total Chlorine (TC). - Do I add these together? I rarely see anyone mention TC on here.

You should do the FAS-DPD chlorine drop test every day until you know your pool. Some people never use the yellow OTO chlorine test and others use the OTO daily and the FAS-DPD weekly or so.

We do not care about TC which is the sum of the FC and CC.
BTW, the OTO test is actually testing for TC, but with the CC usually around 0 this is basically the same as FC.

OK - I THINK I am following :) This is way more confusing than I had previously thought. Im scared to death for them to finish my pool and hand it over to me! YIKES Im not even sure I can tell which yellow and pink the water is on the OTO tests! I feel like I am guessing way more than I should be. UGH.

I need to go test a neighbors pool and screw theirs up first :)

yeah, the OTO test for chlorine and pH is somewhat subjective.
For chlorine, this is why we recommend to use the FAS-DPD for the first couple of weeks or so.. while you do that, also do the OTO yellow color test at the same time.
This will give you at least some idea of what shade of yellow = the more accurate drop test.

PH, as long as you stay in the recommended level, you're good... it isnt as exact as teh FC level is, and you should be able to tell easy enough if you;re in range or not.. that that one should be a no sweat test.

I also think its a good idea to use the neighbor as the guinea pig!

OK - I THINK I am following :) This is way more confusing than I had previously thought. Im scared to death for them to finish my pool and hand it over to me! YIKES Im not even sure I can tell which yellow and pink the water is on the OTO tests! I feel like I am guessing way more than I should be. UGH.

I need to go test a neighbors pool and screw theirs up first :)

OK - I THINK I am following :) This is way more confusing than I had previously thought.
Well I guess I will jump in here also. Fist thing is your light years ahead of most of the ones that come here for advice. They show up after they gave there money to the chemical salesperson that tested the water for free. The OTO "yellow" test is a down and dirty "do I have chlorine". I have that test block and never use it. It only goes up to 5 so if you follow TFP way it should always be a darker yellow. It test TC or FC plus CC. You should not have CC if you follow TFP so you can use TC from the test as FC. Follow what's directed until you find your pools personality. TA, CH, CYA should not change very much. With a new pool you will probably see a pH change. When concrete/plaster cures the number will change. That's where daily or so testing comes into play. CYA maybe monthly just to get used to seeing the black dot. Once you get the hang maybe once or twice a season. Your water features will also change the pH. Don't sweat your TA number. Once your pool cures "upwards of a year" your TA will find it's happy home and your pH should stabilize. My TA's happy home is 70 and my pool is stuck at a pH of 7.2. In the heat of the southeast Texas sun, I know I can run my water fountain for three days "21 hours" and I will probably test at 7.6 or 7.8. Every pool is a little bit different.

I just wanted to pop in and say... I always use the fas/dpd chlorine test. I'm too detail oriented (call it what you will, I think it's a good thing.) to pass up the opportunity to have the closest to exact result I can. I just like it. 12 drops? Ok FC is 6 and I only need to add 20 oz of bleach to get to my target of 8. (your amount of bleach would be different of course)

But hopefully you get the point.

At first it's nice to feel like you know that you know and if you like the extra precision down the road.. Pull out that wonderful white powder and go for the FAS/DPD test!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.