Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I use my vacuum?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I use my vacuum?

Last year I had to get a new valve and now I am not sure how to turn on my vacuum. I have a single Jandy pump with a defilter. I am not sure how to turn my valve? I have 2 baskets (returns?) I used to turn my multiport valve, but a tennis ball in one side and then vacuum. I know how to use the hose and insert into the return, I am just not sure about the valves. I had attached a couple of pictures of what I have ...thanks for any help.

It would only let me upload 2 photos. If you need something else I will send. THANKS
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I use my vacuum?

Torey,

I tried to answer your question, but the harder I tried, the more confused I got..

If you could answer the following questions, I think someone here will be able to help you..

1. Are you trying to connect a hose so that you can manually vacuum your pool or are you trying to turn on an in-pool cleaning machine?
    2. Where are you connecting the end of the hose?
    3. Did you originally have an actual multiport valve, mounted right in front of the Filter, that allowed you to Back Wash, Vacuum to waste, Filter, etc?
    4. Where did you put the tennis ball?
    5. Do you have a main drain in the bottom of the pool?
    6. Just to confirm, you have two skimmers, where water is being returned from the pool through baskets which catch the leaves etc?

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by toreypool View Post
    Last year I had to get a new valve and now I am not sure how to turn on my vacuum. I have a single Jandy pump with a defilter. I am not sure how to turn my valve? I have 2 baskets (returns?) I used to turn my multiport valve, but a tennis ball in one side and then vacuum. I know how to use the hose and insert into the return, I am just not sure about the valves. I had attached a couple of pictures of what I have ...thanks for any help.

It would only let me upload 2 photos. If you need something else I will send. THANKS
    This picture is the key to what you want to do.

Right now the three-way valve is centered, so both pipes flow to the pump. You need to turn that valve handle to the ends one way and then the other and figure out where they go. The two skimmers could be there, or one could go to the bottom drain. I can't help you there.Then block off the one you won't be using to vacuum from. That will put all the suction to the vacuum hose. You might find it's too much suction and the vacuum head sticks. In which case, crack that three way valve a little to reduce the suction to the vacuum hose.

On that valve, the rounded end across from the long handle indicates the block. So the way it is in the picture, it blocks the back wall where there is nothing. You'll see how turning it 90 degrees will block off one inlet pipe or the other.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I think i have it now! You say " and figure out where they go"....hmmmm. my best guess is the left goes to the skimmer in the deep end (which is the one I put the tennis ball in) and the right one goes to the other skimmer. If I turn the to the left how will I know it is cutting off the left and do I still put in a tennis ball? That is all I have to turn? Nothing else??

I appreciate your help! I have been trying for weeks to hire someone to clean my defilter and vacuum and no one shows up! I can handle the vacuuming, I have done that before, but the de filter I am afraid might be too much....

5. Back To Top    #5

The DE filter is not that hard.
    Check this out: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial
    And here is general info: Use and Care of DE Filters

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by toreypool View Post
    Thanks I think i have it now! You say " and figure out where they go"....hmmmm. my best guess is the left goes to the skimmer in the deep end (which is the one I put the tennis ball in) and the right one goes to the other skimmer. If I turn the to the left how will I know it is cutting off the left and do I still put in a tennis ball? That is all I have to turn? Nothing else??

I appreciate your help! I have been trying for weeks to hire someone to clean my defilter and vacuum and no one shows up! I can handle the vacuuming, I have done that before, but the de filter I am afraid might be too much....
    Close one side, turn on the pump, and see where the water is moving. That's how I had to figure out which valve went where on my system. I think everyone goes through it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!