Tigershark pro's cons' from real users

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
I'm looking to get a bot to clean my pool and the Dolphin is more than I want to spend. The Tigershark looks like it should do what I want but I am looking for real users good and bad points. I have read that some need a resticter for it so it doesn't climb to high on the wall and that some need a plate on them so they don't hang up on the drain which are both parts that can be purchased from them. I don't see these as major issues but I could be wrong. Which bot is better in the same price range? Thanks

Just starting my 10th season with my Tigershark. Got it as part of my pool package from my PB prior to Hayward buying Aquavac. Climbs my walls without problems. Haven't needed the high velocity plate, although I did just order one to give it a try. It does get stuck on my main drains, but solve that problem years ago with main drain rings. Only things that that I have needed to replace was an impeller after sucking up a rock, and I have also order spare cartridge filters. During my pool season, I throw it in the pool once a week and it cleans the complete pool in around 4 hours.

I use mine twice a week for about an hour or so and I love it. Does a great job of cleaning my pool. Climbs the walls no problem which takes care of the scum line. One thing I did notice is that the performance is drastically reduced once the filters get dirty. So make sure you clean the filters thoroughly after each use. I just bought a new set for this season since after repeatedly using them then cleaning them for two seasons the machine just didn't have the "pop" it had when I first used it with a set of new filters. It moves a bit faster, climbs the walls MUCH better and seems to cover the pool more efficiently with new filters.

If you need a few cons:

- It's heavy to life out of the pool when it's filled w water
- The cord can get eaten by the rollers which is a total pain. I needed to take mine apart once to get the cord out.
- The filters care not cheap. Cheapest I have found is about $45 for a set. Seems like they are way overpriced for what they are.
- I did need to install the restrictor since mine was almost climbing out of the pool!! It was a cheap part (just a big metal washer) and no biggie to install

Overall I love my Shark!

I have an older Tigershark. Think it's mid-2000s vintage. Works well only with the lower high velocity intake installed. Twice per week usually. Have never tried the restrictor top insert. It does a pretty good job, really helps with the spring clean up of the fine silt that accumulates over the winter. Doesn't climb walls well when the temp is below 60 degrees. Likes to spend more time in the deep end than the shallow end. Gets stuck on the MD very occasionally. Large rocks (1.5" diameter) can also make it get stuck. It is heavy to lift out of the pool, performs better when filters are clean. I give mine a TSP soaking every spring after the initial silt clean up. Cord is a bit tangly but has been since I inherited it. I should really straighten it out on a warm sunny day to try to get the kinks out. Broke once last year when it gobbled up my pool thermometer that was hanging on the side of the pool. Replaced 2 shaft bearings and it was good to go. Easy to find parts... so far.

I have had my QC Tiger Shark since Easter 2014. My PB screwed up my coping and had to have it sand-blasted. The comp that did it said they vacuumed out all the sand - what a bunch of BS. The t-shark for the first 2 weeks would collect about 2-3 pill bottles worth of fine sand each run, plus a lot of the pebbles from the pebblesheen. Overall, it does a pretty darn good job and cleans the pool well. I run it 3-4 times per week min, and do the 4 hr run vs the default 2 hr QC time.

Mine too climbs the wall and cleans the coping, so can someone provide me w the info for the restrictor? I already have the one in that comes w the shark, but they instructions said if it climbs too much, you will need to get the additional one. this is the one I need. Also, when you added the restrictor, did it degrade the performance/power vs wout? Note, my manual was tossed-out by cleaning lady so this is why I need the restrictor info,

Finally, the 50ft cord is a memory cord, so if it get curled-up, lay it out in the straight line in the sun for a couple of days and should help...repeat as necessary. Also, the filters have 2 options for cleaning: one, let them dry in the sun, then just strum the pleats face down [plastic side up] and then tap a couple of times the plastic rim on a fence post and you'll see junk falling out...keep doing until all debris is no longer falling out..or 2, take the hose, w sprayer, hand hit the plastic side and pressure wash the filter. This should be done btw every 4-5 runs unless your filter is really dirty and will not clean-up w out water.

Thanks for the help on the restrictor, tstex

Mine too climbs the wall and cleans the coping, so can someone provide me w the info for the restrictor? I already have the one in that comes w the shark, but they instructions said if it climbs too much, you will need to get the additional one. this is the one I need. Also, when you added the restrictor, did it degrade the performance/power vs wout? Note, my manual was tossed-out by cleaning lady so this is why I need the restrictor info,
My Tigereshark is 10 years and is an original Aquavac. It never has a problem with climbing wall but it does get stuck on my main drains. Decided to give the High Velocity Inlet a tried so see if it help wiith the main drain issue. Well it still got stuck on the drain and it didn't seem to climb the walls as well as it does without the inlet.

I was happy to sell mine after a 3rd warranty replacement on one of the parts.

When you remove it from the pool, the pressure forces dirt from the unit back in to the pool and you will end up running it a few times in a row out of frustration that it hasn't hit a certain spot yet.

It's It's pain to put away, a pain to clean, and depending on your pool, it may end up get in stuck on something frequently

In the end, I find manual vacuuming to be faster and more efficient, I would never look back and I would use that money elsewhere.

I also purchased the caddy which made storing more bearable.

i personally didn't had good experience with the dolphin brand. its cheaper then the other brands but you get what you pay for. i currently use a Aquabat T4 robot and i cant complain. it has a remote so you can control the robot to go where you want (need patience for this), it has a decent size bag so you don't need to clean it every hour or so. has a 7 hour timer option or a RUN option if you want it to run constantly, and a pretty long wire for those with a bigger pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.