New pool owner

I just bought the Taylor k2006 kit and made the following measurements:

PH - 7.6

TA - 80

CH - 230

FC - 5

CC - .5

CYA - 90

I want to know if i have to make any adjustments. My previous Cya was 200, I changed 2/3 of the pool water, and brought it down to 90, pool is clear and sparkling.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!!

How did you get a CYA of 87ppm? The test is not that precise.
    You FC is too low for that CYA, you need to maintain a MINIMUM of 7ppm for that high CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Yes, with 90 CYA (there is no 87 on the Taylor tube) your FC shlould never be below 7 and you should target at least 10 to make sure it doesn't

I need to know a little more about your pool to assess the other numbers.
    It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Got 90 on the taylor k2006 and took sample to pool store they said 87
    They have some type of meter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, welcome to TFP! Time for a little Pool School. Links to some helpful articles for starting out are below.

These articles teach basic water chemistry
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Basic Pool Care Schedule

These articles list the recommended levels and chemicals for your pool
    Recommended Levels
    Recommended Pool Chemicals

Use Poolmath to determine how much checmicals to add to achieve the recommended levels
    PoolMath

Come back and ask question anytime!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Forget the pool store testing. Trust your own.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I am going to dump 1/3 of the water and refill from the tap to bring the CYA to at least 60, what do you think. I have to get some more reagent for the CYA testing, I used it all up. I ordered the large bottle, should be getting it in about a week.
    Sean Gosine

10, 260 gal, Concrete, 1 HP pump, cartridge filter 100 gpm, IG pool plaster, Built 2006
    Taylor k2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by sgosine577 View Post
    I am going to dump some water and refill from the tap to bring the CYA to at least 60, what do you think
    What are you using to chlorinate? That will determine our recommended CYA level.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Doing another 1/3 water replacement would make things easier. Although if you get a lot of rain, that should lower your CYA as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Are the Clorox Test Strips any good?
    Sean Gosine

10, 260 gal, Concrete, 1 HP pump, cartridge filter 100 gpm, IG pool plaster, Built 2006
    Taylor k2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

No. You have a K-2006, why are you asking about test strips?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Are the Clorox Test Strips any good?
    No, we do not recomend test strips at all. Results are too unreliable.

13. Back To Top    #13

Using liquid chlorine from now on, might switch to Clorox bleach, stopped using the tabs, that's what drove the CYA so high, Plus using Clorox super shock.

- - - Updated - - -

I stupidly bought those strips before I bought the K2006
    Sean Gosine

Taylor k2006 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Using liquid chlorine from now on, might switch to Clorox bleach, stopped using the tabs, that's what drove the CYA so high, Plus using Clorox super shock.

- - - Updated - - -

I stupidly bought those strips before I bought the K2006
    Stick with the K2006, the strips are not worth anything. Sorry to say, the Clorox super shock is also a bad purchase. It is also adding CYA to your pool.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Tim,
    I think she said Clorox bleach. Are you saying that is a bad purchase or if she bought Clorox super shock?
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

16. Back To Top    #16

Switching to Clorox bleach but also "using Clorox super shock." which if I am correct is dichlor, which has more CYA than the tabs

17. Back To Top    #17

Tim said the Clorox Super Shock is a bad idea. It is rather annoying now that Clorox has put its name on everything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by rgswff View Post
    Tim,
    I think she said Clorox bleach. Are you saying that is a bad purchase or if she bought Clorox super shock?
    She said "plus using Clorox super shock." Plain Clorox bleach is fine.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    She said "plus using Clorox super shock." Plain Clorox bleach is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I missed that so thanks for pointing it out. Didnt mean to confuse the issue.
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

20. Back To Top    #20

New Test Results after heavy rain.

I added 2 gallons of 6% bleach

FC 16
    CC .5
    PH 8
    TA 100
    CH 190
    CYA 80

It is still raining so i will wait to retest before doing adjustment
    Sean Gosine

Taylor k2006 test kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast