Old Windmill Tank Swimming Pool?

Apr 27, 2015
Hermleigh, TX
Hi all,

Last year I moved into a house on my family's land that was my great grandfather's. The house is on a water well and used to have a windmill and next it is a very large above ground cinder block tank. To my understanding the tank was used for irrigation purposes many years ago, but have been over the past 50 years or so used as a swimming pool. My parents have been telling me stories of the good times they had swimming in it when they were teenagers. Now that I am living in the house with my wife I would very much like to bring this old tank back to life.

I've been researching as much as possible to find out if this is a possibility or not. The tank hasn't been full in some time now and does leak when water is in it.
(Side note: The water well still has an over flow pipe that drains into the tank/pool. I've mistakenly left it on a time or two and the tank will fill with about a foot of water, which ultimately leaks out into the yard. I have since sub-routed the overflow pipe to drain into my garden.)
There are some cracks on the outside of the tank, but it appears the inside of the tank was done in stucco at one point. There is one side of the pool where the stucco is coming away from the cinderblock wall, so that will have to be addressed.

What are my options here? I have thought about getting a big vinyl billboard sign to line it. I've also had others tell me that some good swimming pool paint would be a much better option. I know that I have to address the wall first, but then what should I do?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and Thank You!

Coco

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.