Does pump need to be on high when adding chemicals?

May 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
We just opened our 27' AG pool yesterday. My husband has shoulder problems and will have surgery soon, so he's having trouble doing what we'd need to do to allow the pump to run on high (apologies, I'm not sure if it's called priming, or what. It's unscrewing the clear lid off the place where water rushes up, then putting it back on).

I don't deal with the mechanics, but I am the pool girl chemical wise. I guess I'm very paranoid that my method for the last three seasons, which has kept the water sparkling, will be messed up if I can't turn the pump on high for a couple hours each time I add bleach, etc. Otherwise, we run the pump on low 24/7 and this works well. So question is: are we OK if pump never runs on high this season, but especially now in start-up? Thanks.

A two speed pump on low is just fine for adding chemicals.

By the by, there is no need to run 24 hours a day unless something unusual is happening (i.e. adding salt or CYA or fighting algae). That is several times more pump run time than you need. Most pools are fine with four hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.