Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to take pool cover off

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to take pool cover off

This is the first year I've had to deal with opening up a pool. We bought a summer scape metal frame 14x42 pool last year. Holds about 3750 gallons with a SFS1000/7 SkimmerPlusŪ Filter Pump. Im expecting algae, i had a hard time keeping the pool clean last year. my water hose doesnt have very good pressure and I was thinking of getting a new vacuum and using the skimmer this year. I had looked at the website and saw this kit Deluxe Maintenance Kit for SFS Filtration System. What do i need to know about vacuuming the pool using the skimmer?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to take pool cover off

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have a hard time keeping the pool clear, then it was likely a chemistry problem ... more specifically a lack of sufficient chlorine.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

To clear up algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which requires one of the Recommended Test Kits. Given that your pool is small, you might be better off just draining and starting over and then following the Seasonal/Temporary Pool Guide.

That was all a bit of a tangent because I am not sure how to answer your question about vacuuming in these small AG pools
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i have horrible water pressure in my garden hose and I was using the vaccum that attaches to the hose that has a bag to collect the stuff on the botton. i had some issues with algae last year but i really think its because i couldnt clean it well. i was def thinking of draining it and starting over. how do i go about cleaning the bottom of the pool, do i clean it then drain it?

4. Back To Top    #4

Please update your signature as shown here. For most skimmer vacs there is either a plate that installs in the skimmer that the vac hose connects to or the hose connects directly to the skimmer opening. Algae only grows if you do not maintain the minimum chlorine level for your cya level according to the Chlorine CYA Chart.

Here are some Pool School articles that will help.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Test Kit Comparison
    Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

im thinking of just emptying the pool, im sure it will be all green.. how do i go about this? do i empty it then go in and scrub off all the stuff or do i just fill it with the yucky stuff there and shock it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Either way is fine. Depends how much time and energy you want to spend scrubbing and hosing. Or you can leave it full and SLAM it, SLAMing Your Pool

One thing that might help you decide is if you know what your CYA level is. If it is high then you will need to drain some of the water to dilute it anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I was thinking of upgrading my pump to something bigger, i keep reading that the sfs1000 doesnt do its job. any direction on where i need to go for advice on that will be helpful.
    summer scape metal frame AG pool 14x42, 3750 gallons
    INTEX Krystal Clear 2800 GPH sand filter pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Pool Calculator , cya-chart
    Pool school,recommended-levels