Overhaul

Apr 27, 2015
Niagara Falls
Hey guys new to the site, and love all the info I have found so far. Ok so here is what I am doing and I thought I'd get some imput as most of you probably have a ton more experience in this than I.

I have a 16 x 32 IG pool (plain Rectangle shape)
Using a Zodiac DuoClear

Getting the deck redone (from the mid 70's) and my concrete guy says it's in great shape, so we are going for the Ruboroc resurface. I am doing new coping and liner and need to change the skimmer as well. Have two returns (1 shallow one deep) and am planning to run all new lines as well. Getting my stairs refinished as well.

I guess I'll take some pictures and post them as I go along, but my first few questions shouldn't be too bad.

Looking on what type of skimmer I should use, Coping ideas, and any plumbing tips. I do have a pool guy coming to help from Pool Busters in my area. Seems like a nice guy. But I like to be informed when i talk to these guys and this is defiantly not my area.

Thanks for any help and replies and hopefully I can return the favour to someone one of these days ;)

Skimmers: Most are fairly equivalent these days but my take would be think about the long term. What skimmer will you be able to easily get parts for in 10 years? I'd stick with Hayward myself but others may have suggestions.

Coping: I've got no personal experience with replacing coping use the search box for threads here that talk about it. Helps to know if you pool surface is plaster, vinyl or fiberglass. Speaking of your pool details, please add them to your forum signature! Click on the Settings link in the upper right of the page and then on Edit Signature on the next page. Check out others' forum signatures for what to include.

Plumbing in general: 2" rigid PVC is the preferred choice for most applications. Larger is better in some cases. Larger PVC plumbing translates into less head loss through your pumping system and is better for circulation. Rigid PVC is much more durable and reliable over the long term than flexible PVC.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Hahaha thanks, I drive BMW ;)

Ya I think I am going to tackle of bunch of the jobs myself and get someone to help with the liner. Have a good buddy of mine that is a Cement contractor and he is doing the driveway and other areas of the house. So he suggested he wants to start offering the rubber decking and has a supplier of the product. His offer was $5/ sq ft and i have to supply the beer and my deck becomes the guinea pig of his new product. Worth a shot i guess ;)

I'm sure i'll be on here a ton of times with a ton of questions, so thanks to all in advance. Oh and i'll take tons of pics along the way :)

Ok so I am taking the plunge (pardon the pool pun) and going to try and tackle most of this myself. I am going to start with the concrete cutting and I'll list in what oder i am going to do the project and maybe someone can give me some do's and don'ts along the way ;)

I'm attaching a bunch of pictures so you get an idea of where i am cutting and how I will run the plumbing. Hope I am not off too much because this seems to be the easiest way.

1 Ok so to start, cut all the concrete and remove.

2 Remove old skimmer and return outlets and old plumbing.

3 Install new skimmer outlets and plumbing. Was going to use a Hayward SP1085 skimmer unless someone here has a better suggestion. The mouth on this new skimmer is a little larger than the one I have now so I am guessing I will have to cut a little of the wall to make it fit? Also what pipe does everyone recommend?

4. Remove old coping and install new coping. I am planning on this http://www.inyopools.com/parts_cp7_straight_pieces.aspx because it is 3 inches which will give me a 3/8 lip to butt the rubber decking when it is done. That part worked out quite nicely.

5. pour new cement to fill my dig. After running my plumbing, what is the best fill to put around it? Clean fill (dirt), light stone? heavy stone?

6. Will have a guy come and re-finish the stairs.

7. Rubber decking

8. Install new liner.

Here are some plumbing pics, and some of the cuts planned. My concrete guy said i can cut it this way with no worries.

Thanks
for any and all inputIMG_3177.jpg16-x-32-2-ft-radius-rectangle-polymer-wall-inground-pool-kit.jpg, even if you guys call me nuts for trying this on my own lol

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3182.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I started cutting and got to thinking, once i cut out all my coping, I will have to remove and drain the pool first. my main concern is that the pool will be empty for about a week. Stair refinishing new coping and new cement to the edge. Am I ok to leave the pool empty that long? Worried about the ground water because we had a tremendous amount of snow this year.

One idea I had, since the liner is being tossed, to make a stand over the pool and hang it by the bead with rope.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Ok so I just decided to jump in and do it. Have the concrete cut, old skimmer out which you can see a bad crack which i knew was there and the half *** return fixes.
Here are a few pics as I go. Running new plumbing tomorrow and Thursday if it doesn't rain.
Then coping cement, stair refinish, rubber deck, then the liner. Seems like so much but I know it will go quick.

I do have one question, I was going to add some lighting. Was looking at this... Hayward Universal ColorLogic One Lar - Pool Supplies Canada
Anyone ever use this product? Any good, anything better / cheaper?
And if anyone knows, will one light be enough. 16x34

Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm won't let me upload pics :(
I'll try to link them later.

That photo hosting service works well. When you see the photo on the hosting service there are a few boxes to the right. Click on the one that says "IMG" and it copies the photo location to your clipboard.

You can then just past that in a post and it looks like the one below

I think you got the hang of it!

Now, ifyou put a space between the pasted items it breaks up the photos so they don't run together. I edited a space between the last two photos so you can see what it looks like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.