Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar controller & 120v pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar controller & 120v pool pump

I have a Hayward AQ-SOL-LV solar controller and I am looking to power the pool pump (120v), so it only comes on when there is a call for heat from the solar.

Right now I have the pump running and the solar just opens and closes throughout the day. I like that in the summer when its hot but now I want to only circulate during heating times to maximize my heat. I the manual it looks like I would need a 220v pump, or can I run it from the booster pump?
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/images/p...-SOLSeries.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help.
    24' Round Above Ground Round 46939 L
    1.5 hp Jacuzzi LRC Pump
    Laser 225 Sand Filter
    (5) 4x10 Ultra Swim collectors -roof mounted
    Hayward AQ-SOL-LV Solar controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar controller & 120v pool pump

The Hayward AQ-SOL-LV supports a relay for turning on a pump when there is a call for solar heat. That relay can easily be wired to support either a 115 volt pump or a 230 volt pump, independent of how you are powering the AQ-SOL-LV.

The only issue I see in what you propose is that the pump needs to be running for the water temperature sensor to give a correct reading. That could result in some strange behavior if done the way you propose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar controller & 120v pool pump

Good point, I hadn't thought about it getting the correct temperature sensor. I'll just leave it in the same setup as normal, pump on, solar valve doing the switching.
    Thanks again for the reply!
    24' Round Above Ground Round 46939 L
    1.5 hp Jacuzzi LRC Pump
    Laser 225 Sand Filter
    (5) 4x10 Ultra Swim collectors -roof mounted
    Hayward AQ-SOL-LV Solar controller