Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor Salt Test vs IC 40 SWG indicator

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Salt Test vs IC 40 SWG indicator

Given the rain we've had lately, I am a loss as to why the SWG is still indicating all is fine with 3600 reading and no errors. I just did the Taylor test this a.m. and it showed 3000. I'm certainly more than inclined to take the Taylor test as authentic and add a sack of salt, but does anyone else with the IntelliChlor SWG system have this much of a variance in readings?
    Thanks
    B
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor Salt Test vs IC 40 SWG indicator

IC-40 doesnt actually measure salt, it measures conductivity of the water. A 600 ppm variance is probably with in the error of either the test or the IC-40 reading. As long as the IC-40 is happy, thats what counts. It's fine, I wouldn't add any salt.

Rain doesnt do that much to the salt concentration either unless you get a TON. 1 inch of water in a pool with your deminsions will add about 250 gallons of water, give or take. That amount of water wont do much to the overall salt concentration out of 15500 gallons of water.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, the tests are not all that precise. It is actually usual for them to come out the same. The Taylor test is +-400, and the IC40 is about the same. So they agree within the precision of the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess the Taylor test is a useful backup, but as long as the cell is clean and throwing reasonable readings, I'll just leave it alone and wait for the light.
    Thanks for the input!
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the Taylor test to make sure I am in the ballpark. Bottom line is my cell says to be at 3200 and that is where I try to keep it on the cells readout. The cells are programmed to run at maximum efficiency at a certain salt concentration. If your cell is happy and within range I say all good. And as mentioned above you would need a LOT of rain to move the needle on a 22,000 pool.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. Leave it alone until it tells you it isnt happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    I guess the Taylor test is a useful backup, but as long as the cell is clean and throwing reasonable readings, I'll just leave it alone and wait for the light.
    Thanks for the input!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

B.

I'm the "Pool Boy" for three family pools. All three have IC40's and all three have the opposite of your readings. My IC40's consistently report about 400 ppm below the actual salt measured with the Taylor 1766. I try to add enough salt so that the SWG reports about 3400, and also trying not to go over 4K for the actual salt tests. Like everyone else, my only real concern is making sure the SWG does "think" the salt level is too low and shuts off.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

The OP's numbers have about the variation in readings I get. As said above; as long as the cell is happy.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.