New Pool Need advice!

Apr 26, 2015
Jax, FL
Just finished filling the pool yesterday. Don't have a test kit yet. Please help me to decide which one to order as I'm not sure everything I will eventually need to be testing? We are getting an SWG so we will need salt strips as well? I have seen the kits on TFtestkits.net but not sure which one would be what I need. And wanting to buy one local if possible or on amazon prime to get it as soon as possible. Any help is appreciated!

The pool does have 160 lbs of salt in it because we didn't realize the generator we ordered wasn't here and that it was backordered. (bad pool company experience!) The pool store gave us a list of stuff to add to the pool but after reading around on the site we decided not to add everything. I only added the amount of liquid chlorine that the poolmath calc said to add to get the FC up to 4 from 0. Also added enough cya according to calc to bring the number to 40ppm from 0. Not sure if I should be doing a SLAM with a new pool?? Without a test kit I can't determine what chlorine levels are now... I added the 2 chemicals last night. Water is clear, no cloudiness and I can see straight to the bottom of the pool. There are bugs and debris in the pool still. Pump will run 6-8 hours today and vacuum will go in around 6pm.

Please advise on what I should be doing now - thanks in advance!!

Welcome to TFP!

You've made the right start by ignoring the pool store and checking in here!

Go ahead and order the TF-100 with the salt option from tftestkits.net They'll probably get it on its way today and you will be set when it gets there.

With the CYA just added, you will probably want to add some more chlorine to stay on top of it. CYA protects chlorine from the sunlight, and without the sun will quickly use up the chlorine.

Hey JohnT, thanks for info! Any advice on how much chlorine to add and how often? I will order that test kit today. Question though...they have 2 salt options...the aquacheck strips or the taylor salt test...which one would be best to order? Thanks so much! I'd much rather handle things myself than depend on the pool store for testing, etc. When we went in for our initial consultation with them about chemicals and water testing and I told them we wanted to get the SWG...they told us not to test but just to bring our water in...I have 3 kids...I need to know myself that things are ok. Thanks again!

You get a lot more tests and more accurate tests with the Taylor kit than the strips. Sounds like you will be monitoring your parameters pretty carefully so I think the extra money for the Taylor salt test will be worth it in your case.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Congrats on your decision to maintain your pool yourself, TFPC-style. Glad to see you are using Poolmath! :goodjob:

Here are some articles in Pool School for you to read to begin to understand your water chemistry.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

After you get the basics, here is some more detailed info
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Water Balance for SWCGs

Thanks! I've read those and will continue to re-read as needed. :) So far so good today with everything...it's like having a really high-maintenance puppy LOL! Guess it will be like this till I get the hang of things...

Yeah, it takes some time to get your head around it, but once you do it really is easy. The most important part is to make sure that the chlorine level never drops below the minimum level for your CYA level. Chlorine CYA Chart. If you keep the FC at target your pool will never turn green.

Yeah, it takes some time to get your head around it, but once you do it really is easy. The most important part is to make sure that the chlorine level never drops below the minimum level for your CYA level. Chlorine CYA Chart. If you keep the FC at target your pool will never turn green.

We are getting our SWG soon - so according to the chart my CYA levels should be 70 and not 60 right? I noticed the 60 has a star by it saying not recommended? Not quite sure why... Also, we put CYA in the pool 2 days ago - when my test kit gets here will the CYA be readable on a test right away, like say the day after you add it to the pool? I read somewhere that it takes 5 days to dissolve so it won't show up on a test...is this true? Thanks!

Yep, 5 days or so (we often say UP TO a week) before you can accurately test.....don't sweat the 60-70 difference. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference at first.

Shoot for 60. It's easy to add more, tough to remove it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are getting our SWG soon - so according to the chart my CYA levels should be 70 and not 60 right? I noticed the 60 has a star by it saying not recommended? Not quite sure why... Also, we put CYA in the pool 2 days ago - when my test kit gets here will the CYA be readable on a test right away, like say the day after you add it to the pool? I read somewhere that it takes 5 days to dissolve so it won't show up on a test...is this true? Thanks!

Put in whatever your SWCG manufacturer recommends. Then adjust things to maintain the chlorine level as the chart shows for that level. Excessively low CYA can cause a shortened SWCG cell life.

CYA may take some time to read on the test after you add it. Because it is hard to remove, it's best to wait a week before testing to be sure you don't overshoot your goal. Some pools it shows up almost immediately.

Yep, 5 days or so (we often say UP TO a week) before you can accurately test.....don't sweat the 60-70 difference. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference at first.

Shoot for 60. It's easy to add more, tough to remove it.

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Put in whatever your SWCG manufacturer recommends. Then adjust things to maintain the chlorine level as the chart shows for that level. Excessively low CYA can cause a shortened SWCG cell life.

CYA may take some time to read on the test after you add it. Because it is hard to remove, it's best to wait a week before testing to be sure you don't overshoot your goal. Some pools it shows up almost immediately.

Ok sounds good. Question...how would low CYA cause a shortened SWG cell life? I'm really curious...thanks!

Ok sounds good. Question...how would low CYA cause a shortened SWG cell life? I'm really curious...thanks!

The cell would have to run more to maintain the chlorine level since the lower CYA results in more chlorine loss to sunlight. Cell life is determined by hours of generation time.

One more quick question for future reference....can you swim during the 5 days or so that the CYA is supposedly dissolving? Or do you always have to wait until the 5 days are over and the CYA can be picked up on tests? Is there a time limit to wait on other chemicals that you add to the pool before you can swim again? I haven't seen any articles on here about this issue yet. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.