Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Check Valve not Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy Check Valve not Opening

I just installed a new Jandy Check Valve after my filter. When turning on the pump, about half the time the valve door will barely open. I see bubbles in the valve, and little to no water flow to the pool. The other half of the time the valve door opens immediately and all works well. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
    15k gal IG Vinyl / 1.5HP / Cartridge Filter
    1Skimmer / 1 return / Solar Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Jandy Check Valve not Opening

Welcome to TFP!

While it is possible for the valve to be defective, that seems unlikely. I wonder if perhaps the problem is that the pump is having trouble priming some of the time. Failure to prime would cause air to appear in the check valve.

When the valve fails to open, take a look at the pump strainer basket and see if you see a lot of air in the pump strainer basket. If so, this is a problem priming and nothing to do with the check valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: Jandy Check Valve not Opening

The Jandy check valves are repairable. You can take the top off to see what might be causing it to hang.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat