which swg for newbie

Apr 27, 2015
china grove,nc
trying to find the best fit swg for my pool and myself, I have a 22,000 gallon pool,i am a newbie, bought the house last july and the pool was already doing well and I kept it up fine with chlorine.. I have narrowed it down to three options as far as swg goes

Hayward 40k with t15 cell
sj45
si45+

they are close in price with Hayward being the highest
I called discountsaltpools and asked which they would rec and didn't really feel sold on the sales pitch, maybe I am looking to deep into it, just don't want to shell out $800 to wish I would of bought a different one, and if it matters much my local pool store pushes Hayward at $1400.00 lol

When I moved in the SWCG at my home was a failed Hayward w/ a T15 cell. I replaced the entire package with the same controller and cell and I've been happy with it. I know it will eventually have issues at some point in the future. But, they are so common that the folks here have them figured out and can assist in just about any diagnosis. I guess the point is that they'll all need maintenance at some point so make sure whatever you get is fairly common and easy to fix. If you watch, you can catch the entire unit on Amazon for $800.

I'm not trying to steer you towards the Hayward. I like it but have nothing to compare it against and I know nothing about the other options you're considering. I only chose it because because the pool had a failed Hayward so the replacement was very easy. They Haywards have a couple common problems (inrush current limiter) but they seem fairly easy to diagnose and repair when (not if) the time comes. $849 is a good price. I got mine for $817 and I felt like I stole it.

I replaced my failed Zodiac LM23 with the Circupool RJ30 3 years ago, and I have zero complaints so far. The guys over discountsaltpool have answered all my questions when I've had any. Don't know if this helps? I think whichever brand you go with I think you'll be happy.

and from what I read I need to get a t100 kit also? anything further I need to get or any add ons for the t100 kit?
I am still in the dark on which swg to purchase, I like the ci45+ and sj45 because of the longer pro rated warranty, but the Hayward is also everywhere and seems to be more popular....

I cant really find much info on the difference between the si45+ and the sj45, the guy at discountsaltpool told me the sj was more simple and the si45+ had more features? doesn't make much sense when the sj45 is more then the si45+ but has less features?

I personally do not like that set-up. I can't really tell from the picture but you need a minimum of 12 inches from the flow switch to a 90 (elbow) if the flow switch is installed before the cell. If you install the cell before the flow switch you can add the cell in your measurement. I prefer a straight run whenever possible. Just my thoughts on this and others may have a different opinion.

http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores.com/CircuPool-Si-Vertical-Installation-Kit_p_112.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you are a 'newbie', if you are new to owning a pool, I'd go with Hayward.

IMO, they are generally rock solid, trouble free and forgiving, and like their competitors, they all die eventually. But by then you hopefully will have mastered the techniques of pool balance and all the rest, and may feel more informed shopping for a replacement.

Regarding the flow switch - it has to work right every time to protect your cell, so function takes precedence over form.

well I finally got ahold of a sales tech at discountsalt and he made it feel like a good choice, I ended up getting the sj45, hopefully it will be a good experience and I will try to review it since I couldn't find any reviews on the model in question

so now I will purchase some salt, in the next few days and put it in the pool

in the mean time what is the best testing it to get I assume the t100, what extra is needed with the testing kit?

Get the T100 and I recommend the speed stir option. I went a summer before buying the speed stir and I wish I had it from the get go. It's not required, but a nice luxury if you have an extra $28. Also it's worth buying the Taylor salt test kit so you know how much salt to put into the pool. Walmart sells Morton's pool salt for about $5 a 40# bag. My pool store charges $15 a bag.

Get the T100 and I recommend the speed stir option. I went a summer before buying the speed stir and I wish I had it from the get go. It's not required, but a nice luxury if you have an extra $28. Also it's worth buying the Taylor salt test kit so you know how much salt to put into the pool. Walmart sells Morton's pool salt for about $5 a 40# bag. My pool store charges $15 a bag.

Solar Salt from Home Depot @5.38 a bag (40 LBS)

Here is a recent thread on Morton's salt. You may want to read it?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/90969-Morton-Pool-Salt-Problem

That's why you need a salt test- you're probably not starting at zero. Then use pool math calculator to solve for how much salt to buy. I put about 400 pounds in my pool when I converted. It takes about a bag every couple of months to keep up the salt due to loss from backwashing, vacuuming, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-40-lb-Water-Softener-Salt-Pellets-100012420/100614653

this is what my local hd sells, is this the same as solar salt?
also what is a rough estimate on how much to buy? I have a 22k gallon pool

No, you want the Blue bag "Solar Naturals" actually . I mean you could use the yellow bag, but it is not necessary and costs more.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-...arse-Water-Softening-Salt-100012454/100172669

you need approximately 14.2 bags according to Pool Math. This is with an estimated current salt level of 300 and a target level of 3400.

ok just ordered the tf-100 kit and added all the options to the kit, I seen that they are located in nc so hopefully the kit will be here before the weekend and I can test the salt level and go get some salt to start the process, I am sure I will have a million questions coming up in the next few weeks, thanks for all the help so far it is a blessing when you feel like you are in over your head

got my tf-100 kit in today, I still have the cover on the pool. planning on removing the cover this weekend, weather permitting and test for salt and then add salt to the water, my swg will be here Friday and will try to install it over the weekend also, and make sure to not turn it on until the salt level is in the 3500ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.