Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Water in above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Lawrenceburg, Indiana

Replacing Water in above ground pool

Hello! I'm wanting to replace the water in my above ground pool. Is it safe to drain the pool and then refill or do I need to fill as I drain. I have a very high CYA and am trying to lower it. Thanks.
    26,000 gallon 33 foot round AG pool, cartridge filter, 175 SQ FT ECCO ELMNT FILTER 1.5 HP 2 SPEED, Southeastern IN

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Replacing Water in above ground pool

I would not drain it completely. If it is just the CYA that you are worried about, I would drain about 1/3 and retest.
    These guys and gals will want a full set of readings to from a recommended test. I invested in the TF 100 and it is the best purchase I have made for my pool!
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Leave a foot of water in the pool so the liner doesn't shift or wrinkle. The sidewall also won't collapse inwards if there's some water pushing against it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Bartlesville, OK

How high is your CYA level at? Depending how high it is will depend on how low to drain. Also, personally I'd train first then refill later after the amount you want drained is gone. But again, I don't think you need to drain it all, but that depends on your reading.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yes, 1/3-1/2 drain and refill is recommended.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    SW PA

Do you have test results to determine how much to drain?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter