Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaRite SWG won't keep generating

1. Back To Top    #1

Question AquaRite SWG won't keep generating

I have an AquaRite SWG that won't keep generating chlorine. After initial "on", the unit will generate with an amp reading @4.42, however shortly thereafter it stops generating and the amp reading drops to @0.02.
    The control is 8 seasons old, and the cell is new last season (2014). The system was working fine before winter closing last fall.
    Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaRite SWG won't keep generating

Welcome to TFP!

Unless the percentage setting is set to 100%, it is completely normal for the unit to cycle between on and off, being on for the given percentage of each 2 hour period.

Are you seeing any error lights/codes?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No other codes or error lights. Unit is set at 100%, this also happens when I set to "Super Chlorinate".
    It will only generate for a few minutes (you can see the micro bubbles in the cell).
    I understand the unit works off a percentage of time per cycle; does the system stop generating when it reaches a certain chlorine level?
    Built new fall 2006; 23,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool, AquaRite SWG, Hayward paper media filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

No other error codes present, all looks normal.
    Set to 100%, also "super chlorinate" setting reacts the same. After initial power on, generates like normal then 5 minutes or so it stops generating. Lights do not change.
    Will the system stop generating after reaching a certain chlorine level, or strictly a percentage of time per cycle.
    Built new fall 2006; 23,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool, AquaRite SWG, Hayward paper media filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Strictly percentage of time cycle.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

When set to 100% the unit should continue to generate the entire time the pump is on. The only exception I can think of is for cold water. Between 50 and 60 degrees it will only run a little, and below 50 degrees it won't run at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The water temp is hovering around 50-52 degrees. Usually the code "COLD" appears around 50 degrees and below. So maybe it is not generating, and not throwing the code?

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you post all of the diagnostic numbers?

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't spend a lot of time trying to get my SWCG up and running until the water is consistently above 60. They are too finicky at lower temps. I just use bleach until then.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

When the water is very cold, but not cold enough to trigger a full shutdown, an AquaRite will often do exactly what you describe.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the Aquarite as well. My water temp is at 52*. I have been using bleach just as Pooldv suggested. I just converted to SWG and haven't even added the salt yet.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

12. Back To Top    #12

After initial power up and set to "Super Chlorinate":

100P
    AL-1
    r1.4

20 minutes later:

100P
    AL-1
    r1.4

So for about 15-20 minutes it generates, sometimes not even that long. Cells look very clean, flow is good.

13. Back To Top    #13

Most likely it's just cold water. I would leave it off until the water temperature gets above 60 F.

14. Back To Top    #14

Welcome to TFP!!!

I will be the 5th person to tell you the water is too cold and just to use bleach
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

LOL! Where's Patrick and Tim?
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

I will be the 5th person to tell you the water is too cold and just to use bleach
    OK, I will wait for warmer weather and use bleach for now. Maybe I opened a little too early this year! Thanks for all the replies..

17. Back To Top    #17

I have the exactly the same problem. My cell is 3 years old. My water temp is at 60 deg...I.ll warm it up a bit more to see what happen. I phone Hayward and they told me my cell need replacement, but that is after I told them it was not a haward cell but a compupool!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

This is exactly what I am doing as well. My water temp is 59* today.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

19. Back To Top    #19

YES!!! my water temp was at 65 at 8:00 last night and my wife started the Aqua-rite...I just check now 5 hrs later and it is still generating ...I need to make a note to my Aqua-rite door not to expect it to work below 65 degf. Now I remember that it did happened to me a few years ago...

Bououo to the Haward rep that told me I needed a new cell after only 3 years of use.