Question about bleach storage for the Stenner pump

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I’m going to replace my liquidator with a Stenner pump (45MPH10). The pump has been ordered and is on the way. I thought about using the 15 gal tank that came with the Liquidator for bleach storage, but would really like something larger - about 25 or 30 gal.

I thought about using 3-30 gal plastic garbage cans stacked one inside the other for mechanical strength, but they are made from recycled plastic and I’m concerned about then getting brittle and cracking. Anybody have any experience using them?

The best solution would be a PVC tank, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for less than about $150 and that is too much. I’ve done a google search and can’t come up with good source. I want an open top tank with a lid. The chlorine I use is 10.5% and comes in 2.5 gal carboys and I want the open top to make it easier to re-fill the tank without splashing chlorine all over.

What tank is everybody else using and where did you buy it?

There are mixed reports of the corrosion resistance of linear polyethylene to sodium hypochlorite. Some sources say it is OK for concentrations up to 16% and others say it should not be used for long term storage. Cross linked or high density poly is supposed to be OK, but only the more expensive vessels tell you what materials are actually used.

One thing I don't want to happen is to have a tank full of chlorine rupture and spill 10 or 20 gallons of 10% chlorine on the ground.

I bought my 15 gallon ( like the white one you have link to ) blue container on the side of the road in Houston. The guy told me he goes around to different companies who want to get rid of them and buy's for 5-10$ then resales for 20-25$. Mine smelled of Dr Pepper LOL. Just a thought. You might want to check to see if you have any companies near you who would want to get rid of. The white one you looked at is rated for acid so it will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.