Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about bleach storage for the Stenner pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about bleach storage for the Stenner pump

I’m going to replace my liquidator with a Stenner pump (45MPH10). The pump has been ordered and is on the way. I thought about using the 15 gal tank that came with the Liquidator for bleach storage, but would really like something larger - about 25 or 30 gal.

I thought about using 3-30 gal plastic garbage cans stacked one inside the other for mechanical strength, but they are made from recycled plastic and I’m concerned about then getting brittle and cracking. Anybody have any experience using them?

The best solution would be a PVC tank, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for less than about $150 and that is too much. I’ve done a google search and can’t come up with good source. I want an open top tank with a lid. The chlorine I use is 10.5% and comes in 2.5 gal carboys and I want the open top to make it easier to re-fill the tank without splashing chlorine all over.

What tank is everybody else using and where did you buy it?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about bleach storage for the Stenner pump

I'm using a 15 gallon polyethylene drum like this one.

Check out Craiglist and similar sites as they are commonly sold out of the food service industry.

My Stenner Pump
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

There are mixed reports of the corrosion resistance of linear polyethylene to sodium hypochlorite. Some sources say it is OK for concentrations up to 16% and others say it should not be used for long term storage. Cross linked or high density poly is supposed to be OK, but only the more expensive vessels tell you what materials are actually used.

One thing I don't want to happen is to have a tank full of chlorine rupture and spill 10 or 20 gallons of 10% chlorine on the ground.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

Would something like this be suitable for chlorine bleach storage?

or would one of these be better?
    Last edited by pbhound; 05-07-2015 at 04:26 AM. Reason: added another barrel link
    AG 24' round 15k gal
    cartridge filter 125sf

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought my 15 gallon ( like the white one you have link to ) blue container on the side of the road in Houston. The guy told me he goes around to different companies who want to get rid of them and buy's for 5-10$ then resales for 20-25$. Mine smelled of Dr Pepper LOL. Just a thought. You might want to check to see if you have any companies near you who would want to get rid of. The white one you looked at is rated for acid so it will work.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8