Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Permanent Backwash/Waste Piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Permanent Backwash/Waste Piping

Does anyone on here run a permanent pipe out to the street for their waste hose? I was using the hose yesterday and it was getting frustrating very quickly.

I want to bury a pipe out to the street and get rid of that hose. Anyone know of a reason not to do this?

I'm Mobile
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Permanent Backwash/Waste Piping

Your city may have restrictions against it. Why don't you use it for lawn/trees etc. ?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The previous owners had the backwash hard piped out behind the yard underground. I wouldn't recommend it without some kind of flow visibility. I lost a few inches of water last week to backwash (I assume) from a worn spider gasket. I originally thought I had a straight up leak/hole until I searched around on here for possible causes.

I think I'll be putting some kind of flow gauge or clear acrylic pipe to give some kind of visibility.

The new top assembly comes in tomorrow.
    AG 18k gal 28' circular pine straw collector, Hayward S220T, Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP
    Zodiac Ranger cleaner w/ Twister and a PoolSkim
    12" red, green, yellow, and white beach ball
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I use backwash water on my lawn. A rigid pipe would not allow me to move the water flow around, it would all be in one place. How often do you anticipate backwashing? I've never had to backwash more than twice in one calendar year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I use backwash water on my lawn. A rigid pipe would not allow me to move the water flow around, it would all be in one place. How often do you anticipate backwashing? I've never had to backwash more than twice in one calendar year.
    I'd like to start doing this as well. I have the standard collapsible back wash hose but it's very poor at putting water where I want it and a pain to maneuver. Any chance you could show some shots of your set up?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I just like things to be simple. The hose was just way to basic and inefficient for my style of DIY.
    Maybe I can find a larger diameter garden hose. Something with some more rigidity basically.

I'm Mobile
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

This thread about using fire hose for backwash might be interesting to you:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Backwash-hose
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I'd like to start doing this as well. I have the standard collapsible back wash hose but it's very poor at putting water where I want it and a pain to maneuver. Any chance you could show some shots of your set up?
    There is no set up. I have a nipple on the backwash outlet and I attach the hose with a hose clamp. Then I carefully unroll the hose so there's no twists or kinks and let it rip. While it's spewing, I play fireman wrestling with the firehouse. When I'm done, I unclamp the hose and roll it around a big cardboard shipping tube and force the water out as I roll. I slide it off the tube and put it on the shelf in the garage until next time. Wear grubby shorts and T-shirt in case things get away. The most important thing is to ensure the hose has no kinks. They will not straighten out when water hits it, the hose will blow. Ask me how I know.

Hose nipple, pool section of the garden department at Lowes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I hate my backwash hose. I have 2 cheapie ones from Lowes that I connected with my own ghetto rigging of pieces that technically didn't fit but I made it happen.
    What I hate is that they don't last long. Pinholes turn into bigger holes and as Richard mentioned.... Kinks are bad.

I hate dragging it out and making sure it's all flat.

I don't know why I'm having to backwash this frequently this year. I've been doing it once a week. Only when the pressure gauge goes up. Maybe it's the pollen. I even have a leaf net covering the pool so I know there isn't a ton of stuff getting through.
    It's time for a fire hose.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Beens I think I'll join you. I'm in the navy and may be able to get some for cheap (free). I'll try and find out tomorrow.

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine is hard plumbed out to the woods behind my house. Wouldn't have it any other way. My father in law deals with those blue flex hoses and they are horrible.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

12. Back To Top    #12

I use my catch basin/ pump system that I need to keep my poorly graded yard from flooding in moderate rains. I have 2 basins each with around 120' of 2" PVC underground that route to my front yard and dump it onto my sidewalk.

I use black flex pipe from the multi port into a pipe that contains the power cord for my flood pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    There is no set up. I have a nipple on the backwash outlet and I attach the hose with a hose clamp. Then I carefully unroll the hose so there's no twists or kinks and let it rip. While it's spewing, I play fireman wrestling with the firehouse. When I'm done, I unclamp the hose and roll it around a big cardboard shipping tube and force the water out as I roll. I slide it off the tube and put it on the shelf in the garage until next time. Wear grubby shorts and T-shirt in case things get away. The most important thing is to ensure the hose has no kinks. They will not straighten out when water hits it, the hose will blow. Ask me how I know.

Hose nipple, pool section of the garden department at Lowes.
    Might I ask, is the LA County Fire Department missing a hose......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon