Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shower

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

I'm looking for tips on how to hook up a shower easily and most cost effectively outdoors.

I am planning on asking the pb to install a couple of hose bibs. i'd like to attach an outdoor shower to one of them. the shower won't be close to the home and i don't want to spend money on piping to the house for hot water. It's AZ so we can make due without hot water, not that i wouldn't mind hot water. plus, for an outdoor shower, i believe we'd need to pull a pricey permit. i was wondering if i can just do a detachable shower. can i have them put in a hose bib and then attach a washing machine connector/hose to the water bib or something along those lines? i saw some outdoor showers on amazon and at lowes but i saw some showers on pictures that looked nice. i'd have to see where I could get something like that. my original idea was to have a mexican tiled backsplash where the shower would come out of. trying to get away with doing an inexpensive shower.

thx for any input on any ideas of how to hook up a shower easily outdoors.
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: shower

We have one of these, can't remember which one. It is still sitting in the house so I don't know how it works.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

I saw one a few years back that was a DIY project made from some 3-4 inch PVC. As I recall it was made from so as to have an H shaped base using 2 T's and end caps on 3 or the 4 legs of the H, one of the back legs had a reducer and a hose bib linlet. then another T was pointed vertical near one side (front side) of the H and a PVC column went up to a shower head rigged to a pull chain valve. The sun would heat the water in the pipe and the water connection would provide pressure and refill from the bottom up. Since heat rises the vertical column would be the warmest. If using 3 inch PVC 5 ft long, the vertical column would hold 1.7 gallons, or 3.5 gallons with 4 inch PVC pipe. The average shower head flows around 2 gallons per minute. A fancier setup would flow through a 2 way shower valve for heat control.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Depending on where you place the shower, there are some very inexpensive propane portable tankless shower heaters you could hook to a BBQ tank. They even come with a handheld shower head. Since you won't use it much it should cost too much in propane. Eccotemp makes one for about $120.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.