Recommendations or Reviews for Cartridge Filters

gtm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
St. Petersburg, Florida
I have a question that I haven't been able to find with a quick search of the forums and Pool School.

I'm tired of my sand filter (long story) and want to switch back to a cartridge. Can anyone point me to a "Consumer Reports" type review, or just share your experiences of which ones you like and don't like?

Thanks!

I can only give you my personal experience, since I have one.

I like my cartridge filter. When it comes to cartridge filters, as I'm sure you have read, the bigger the better. Mine is pretty big at 420 sq ft.
Given my particulars, I only have to clean it about once a year...and truthfully, could stretch it another 3 months.
It takes me about 1.5 hours start to finish to remove the cartridges, hose down all 4 filters real well and get them all clean and put it all back together. Easy enough for me.

I dont have to backwash, no DE to replenish, etc.
simple stuff

My cartridge filter definitely keeps the pool clean. We have LOTS of trees that drop lots of stuff in the pool. We end up having to clean the filter 2 or 3 times in spring and 2 or 3 more in fall. Same hour and a half or so as Dave said. It's a little worse in spring because the water is too cold to jump in!

I've never had a sand filter, but sometimes the idea of being able to turn a valve to backwash sounds appealing. But, additional water use and chemical additions not so much.

Thanks folks, but I think I didn't ask my question very well. Sorry about that.

I've pretty much decided to switch back to a cartridge filter, but it's been a long time since I had one and I'm sure things have changed in the meantime. I was sort of looking for reviews of different manufacturers and such that would help me get started with shopping for and selecting one.

Does that make more sense?

Yes, it does make sense. But, I have only had this Pentair cartridge filter and a couple of Intex cartridge filters. You definitely don't want an Intex cartridge filter. :)

I have a Hayward C3030 cartridge filter. I am very happy with it. I'm not too happy with the replacement cost of the filters @ 42.99 x 4 LOL. None the less, works very well and I would purchase another cartridge type filter if I had too.

My pentair cartridge filter works great. Im sure the others manufacturers do too. They really are all the same.

There arent any moving parts or any valves on them. Teh filtering ability depends on how good the pleated cartridges are and even the ones at the bottom of the list work well but they just may not last as long as the top teir cartridges.

The thing really only consit of a shell, a pressure gauge, input and output unions, a couple of plastic pipes inside and the cartridge holder. Very simple really.

As far as cartridge filters, I dont that one particular manufacturer would be any more reliable than any other.

I guess what you might look for is the square ft to dollar ratio, and see which provdes the most sq ft for teh dollar.
and check where the input and outpt unions are located on the filter, and decide which would easier for you to connect your pluming too.
And I guess last, just look at the pics of them and decide which of them looks better to you...

thats really about all there is to it

Considering you have a 15K gallon pool, I would not recommend anything smaller than 300 sq ft.... small than that, it would fiter fine, but you would likely have to clean it several times a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.