Crystals seem to come off the wall by brushing

Apr 26, 2015
Philly
I have been searching high and low for information on crystals in the pool. I have the same exact problem as this post! Our Polaris has probably taken lbs of this stuff out of the pool. I currently have a pile of it in the yard. The pool was replastered last spring and this is the first opening after the long freezing winter. The crystals seem to come off the wall by brushing although some are a bit more difficult to remove. Just had the water tested:
FAC - 7 (just shocked heavily yesterday)
TAC - 7
CH - 420
CYA - 25
TA - 80
PH - 8.5
Acid - 6
TDS - 1310
Salt - 930 (chlorine pool for now)
Phosphates - 700

Welcome to TFP!

If they brush off you are lucky. Brush off and vacuum up as much of them as you can.

Meanwhile, you need to get the PH down below 8.0.

Longer term, I strongly recommend getting your own top quality test kit. Pool store test results have a history of being wrong way more frequently than you might expect. Without reliable test results it is impossible to know the best way to proceed.

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.

I am borrowing this from another member who posted it, (zea3)
This should answer your question
http://aquamagazine.com/content/post/The-Mystery-of-the-Pointed-Crystals.aspx

hope this helps,

I have been searching high and low for information on crystals in the pool. I have the same exact problem as this post! Our Polaris has probably taken lbs of this stuff out of the pool. I currently have a pile of it in the yard. The pool was replastered last spring and this is the first opening after the long freezing winter. The crystals seem to come off the wall by brushing although some are a bit more difficult to remove. Just had the water tested:
FAC - 7 (just shocked heavily yesterday)
TAC - 7
CH - 420
CYA - 25
TA - 80
PH - 8.5
Acid - 6
TDS - 1310
Salt - 930 (chlorine pool for now)
Phosphates - 700

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.