Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC40 Dead, what to do...

1. Back To Top    #1

Lemoore, CA

IC40 Dead, what to do...

I have an old Pentair IC40 that failed on me several years ago. I tried cleaning it back then, even called Pentair, and could never really figure out what happened to it. It has been plugged in and operating ever since so I imagine it is definitely done now.

For what its worth while I had was plumbing in my new VS pump I attempted again to clean the IC40 and see if I had any luck getting it to work. I then reinstalled it and now with the pump operating at 1500 rpm I have a Red Power light indicating it requires service. I also have green lights for both Life and Flow and the generation is set to 80%. There is no light on to indicate salt level.

In response to this I disconnected the power cable to the IC40 for now to save some energy. I am considering removing OR replacing it.

What is the value of a SWG? I can purchase another IC40 on Amazon for just less than $500. Is their anyway that the cost of a SWG, salt, and the energy to use it offsets the cost of bleach? Or is it strictly a convenience SWG owners pay a premium to have?
    23 kgal pebble tek pool, Hayward SP2302 VSP, Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter, 2" PVC, Kreepy Krauly suction pool cleaner, dual water-fall, no heat or spa, and a broken Pentair SWG!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: IC40 Dead, what to do...

It is mostly about convenience. There is cost offset, but bleach usually wins. With SWCG there is no buying, hauling and adding bleach every day or two.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

Re: IC40 Dead, what to do...

I think the biggest benefit to the SWG is CONSISTENT delivery of chlorine to the pool - meaning do do not really have ups and downs as you add more bleach and then it looses effectiveness. With the SWG you always have a small but steady flow.

It sounds like you have a nice pool and already have the Pentair IC power supply so I would check ebay and online for a new IC 40 cell. They should last for 3-5 years or more depending on maintenance and time & % used.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro