Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue devil CYA reagent and Taylor CYA test tube

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue devil CYA reagent and Taylor CYA test tube

A while back I had run out of R-0013. Not knowing any better I grabbed a bottle of CYA reagent from my LPS. Turns out it is Blue Devil CYA reagent and not Taylor reagent. But the results I was getting with it was somewhat consistent with the Taylor reagent so I did not think much of it at the time.

After searching I learned that the Blue Devil and Taylor reagents are not the same formula. Here's my conundrum:

I have pumped out rainwater out of my pool a few times this year to maintain the proper level, at least 5,000 gallons. Both CH and CYA have dropped which is consistent with me pumping out excess water. I am using the Blue Devil reagent in the Taylor shaker bottle and viewing tube that came with my TF-100. I am at the point where I have a full tube and the eyeball does not disappear at all ( CYA < 10 ). I am think about adding CYA, but after reading that the reagents aren't identical, I am questioning my test results.

So, should I ditch the Blue Devil reagent and get Taylor reagent and go from there? Or are my test results ok and it's time to add CYA?
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue devil CYA reagent and Taylor CYA test tube

Personally I would get the correct Taylor reagent for the tube you have or get the Blue Devil tube -I wouldn't mix/match like that.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The Blue Devil and Taylor CYA reagents are not interchangeable. The view tube heights are different, so you will get incorrect results if you mix reagent of one brand and view tube of the other brand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Good to know, and I'm sure this will help whoever searches this topic in the future.

This may be a Deep End topic, but what makes the two reagents different? They both test for CYA so I'm sure melamine is involved in both of them right?
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't really know. They both work on the same chemical principals, but something causes them to give different levels of cloudiness for the same CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School