Solar Panel Installation

May 18, 2014
Commack, NY
Hello,

I have 3 Vortex 4' x 12' Solar Panels with 1.5" heads & 2" Plumbing parts that I want to install. All of my current pipes are 1.5" and I believe I ordered 1.5" plumbing too but they sent me 2" and this was last year. Regardless, I will work with what I have. My question is... is it worth getting these professionally installed or DYI? I'm leaning towards DYI since the plumbing doesn't seem that complicated. I assume I am ok with 1.5" to 2" converters wherever needed...

Also as an aside, I also want to install LED strips around the pool. Do you recommend getting Waterproof LED strips and installing them under the water or above? Not sure what would look better... thinking all underwater.

Thanks

DIY the solar panels for sure. No problem with 1.5" to 2" adapters. There is a pic of my Vortex panels in my build link below. DIY was easy.

I am no help with the light question.

Welcome to TFP! Info on updating your signature shown here.

There are many solar install threads on here, I suggest reading over a few before trying to do it yourself, as there are a few things you want to get right, like keeping a slightly upward slope in the water flow, and plumbing corner to corner across your panels.

Thank you all for suggestions.

I actually just finished my installation and the system seems to be running well. Unfortunately it's been a bit cloudy so I haven't had the chance to see its full potential yet. I did install it with a manual valve that I turn on or put on bypass daily, which can get cumbersome. Is it necessary to put it on bypass when the sun has set or should I let it go through the panels? I'm a afraid of the pool cooling overnight.

Also, I am running my pump from 6 AM to 1 AM next day due to cloudiness. I have this fine gunk that is on the bottom of the pool that gets agitated when the cleaning robot goes over it and goes back into the pool water and becomes cloudy and I can't for the life of me get rid of it. I figured running the pump more would fix it but it doesn't. If the robot doesn't agitate it it lays on the bottom. I figured if I get rid of that I would be able to just shut the pump around sunset and turn it on around sunrise.

You want to turn off the solar any time it is dark out or if it is raining to keep from loosing heat (potentially clouds too if it is windy and below pool temperature outside) This is why I almost always suggest a solar controller, about the only time I would not is for those people that live in the land of lots of sunshine where a pump timer would do the trick.

As to your fine powder problem, it could be a number of things, let me first ask what type of filter do you have, better yet can you put your equipment list in your signature file see.

I updated my signature with my system. I replaced my filter a year and a half ago with a Hayward S220T Pro-Series 22-Inch 1-1/2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter and initially it seemed like it took a while to clear up the pool, but eventually it did the job. Then I had the pool surface chemically cleaned when they drained the pool, cleaned the sides and put fresh water in. That year the pool was looking great. Then the following year (last year) I had a bad algae problem with mustard algae and green algae and no matter how much I bombed the pool with Mustard algae remover powder it never came back from green and cloudy. You could see the dead algae at the bottom but I had no way of clearing it. It seemed like the filter was not taking care of it.

If I don't run the cleaner robot for a day or 2 all the cloudiness goes to the bottom but the slightest disturbance and it's back in the water all mixed in and cloudy. The water right now is blue and it could be clear if I don't run the cleaner robot but I don't see a way to remove it permanently at the moment. I tried vacuuming but it seems like it will take me weeks to get it all because I only can really vacuum when it finally settles and as soon as I go over it with a vacuum (to waste) it would get some of it but then rest around it would be back mixed into the water and I will have to wait again to settle.

I feel like my filter is working, but it doesn't get everything.

Can you post a complete set of test results, also have you used any DE filter compound as a filter aid to help the sand filter catch these fine particles?

These are semi accurate results. I will post more when I have more information.

Free Chlorine - 10+
Alk - ~40
pH - ~6.4
TH - ~150-200

I know these are not normal values but the more I try to mess with it the worse it gets so I left it alone and just tried to control the chlorine. I started lowering the chlorine feeder today. (I shock the pool once a week (which was done yesterday)).

If I step on the stairs to get into the pool now there is a mist the comes from the bottom of the surfaces. It's hard to see it until you disturb it, then it's like the water around the disturbance turns brown and then cloudy blue as it disperses.

In terms of DE Compound, I never used that nor do I know how to. Would it help?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.