Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chlorine won't stay

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine won't stay

We finally got our cover off yesterday and the water was clear, but algae settled to the bottom. As I turned on the auto-vac it stirred it up good and now the water is all green. Initial test (via strip) was
    FC-0
    Ph-6.8
    TA-240
    CYA-0

Today:
    Ph-7.2 almost a full box of Borax added early this morning
    FC-0 maybe 1 1/2 gallons Bleach added-what I had on hand
    CYA-0
    TA-80

Went to the store and purchased 10 gallons bleach, 2 boxes Borax, 2 bags Baking Soda, and 2 bottles of Stabilizer, and 5 pk of Super Shock (yeah, I know...), and a 6 in 1 test kit until my good one gets here

Added 1 bottle stabilizer, 4 bags of shock and three hours later..
    Ph-7.2
    FC-.5
    CYA-40
    TA-80

...added 3 bottles of bleach

WHY am I losing chlorine?? Is the algae just taking it? It needs to go away!! Once I get FC hopefully up to the 16 shock level should I retain it better? Do I keep adding chlorine every hour or so until it reaches shock or do I need to dump it all in?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AGP replaced 2014 due to other pool blowing out; 33' x 52" round - 28K? gallons; SwimPRO sand filter SW256TPAKS; UtiliTech 1HP variable speed pump; 2014 PermaSalt 454007-chamber went out after 3 months-green pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: chlorine won't stay

What is happening is the bleach is eating the algae. This will continue until all algae has been consumed by the bleach. Then your numbers on what you need to add will be less and less. uV rays from the sun will also affect your FC level.

- - - Updated - - -

Also in the beginning of my SLAM I tested and added bleach every 2 hours as needed. I used pool math for the calculations on how much to add.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Should I be running the auto-vac overnight?
    AGP replaced 2014 due to other pool blowing out; 33' x 52" round - 28K? gallons; SwimPRO sand filter SW256TPAKS; UtiliTech 1HP variable speed pump; 2014 PermaSalt 454007-chamber went out after 3 months-green pool

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You want to keep it at FC Shock Level, Shock Level And Maintain and you will get results.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not let mine run overnight in case something gets trapped. I only run mine during the day. Here is a link to my SLAM process. You really need to get a TF -100 test kit to be able to perform the SLAM properly.
    Page 9 is my pics from today

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/90889-TF-100-readings-and-my-SLAM-process
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Thanks! Should I be running the auto-vac overnight?
    No. Because you are killing so much algae, the auto-vac will clog up quickly and shut off. During this initial stage run the auto-vac only when you can check it every hour or perhaps less.

STOP using the bags of shock.....your CYA looks like it is skyrocketing and you will have bigger problems.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am getting the TF-100 on Friday, just wanting to get a jump on the green since it has been growing since last Summer when the Perma Salt chamber went out..lesson learned and staying away from that mess! Do you add bleach overnight as well to maintain?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by LimitlessWithLeVel View Post
    I am getting the TF-100 on Friday, just wanting to get a jump on the green since it has been growing since last Summer when the Perma Salt chamber went out..lesson learned and staying away from that mess! Do you add bleach overnight as well to maintain?
    Great! I add bleach at 8/8:30 pm and then go to bed. I check it again around 6 am. I add some around noon/1pm also
    Lisa

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much!! It looks like your pool is coming along nicely!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Thank you so much!! It looks like your pool is coming along nicely!
    Your welcome! Yes, it is coming along. Requires lots of patience and bleach. I recommend you upgrade your TF 100 with the XL add on as you will probably need it.
    Lisa

10. Back To Top    #10

Conducting a SLAM using test strips is a very bad idea. The results from them īs so poor that you really don't know what your levels of anything are.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi, welcome to TFP!

Have you read, SLAMing Your Pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

To go along with what Tim has said regarding the strips. You first reported a TA of 240 n then another TA of 80. That's night n day difference!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I was just reading and wanted to point out that limitless mentioned purchasing a 6 in 1 kit to use while waiting for the TF-100 (coming Friday?) So that is probably an OTO chlorine test....the strips were just the first report.

But I'll add... you can't really do much but sit in a holding pattern until you get the right chlorine test (the one that comes with the TF-100) If your CYA is truely 40 now (possibly higher since you've added the stabilizer *and* the shock which probably also had CYA in it)...you're going to need a higher FC than your test can measure. Be careful of adding anything else before your kit comes. A few more days of green isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I know you want to get started but if you can't test your chlorine at the level it needs to be you could very well be wasting it since the algae will be able to grow back faster than you can kill it. You need the precision of the FAS/DPD chlorine test to achieve and maintain that level.

Here's hoping for a quick test kit delivery!!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

The first TA was with the strip..all other results are from the test kit. Today we have turquoise cloudy water with lots of floaties. I have vac going now. This mornings results:
    Ph 7.2
    FC 5+
    TA 90
    CYA 30

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

The first TA was with the strip..all other results are from the test kit. Today we have turquoise cloudy water with lots of floaties. I have vac going now. This mornings results:
    Ph 7.2
    FC 5+
    TA 90
    CYA 30
    What test kit do you have? If you already posted it, I apologize for asking.
    Lisa

16. Back To Top    #16

It's only hth 6-in-1..also, I did the hardness test but it didn't change colors

17. Back To Top    #17

With a lined pool CH is not an issue unless it gets above 350. Let's hope you get the TF100 soon as right now you are kind of shooting in the dark. Your shock level is 12 and the 5+ doesn't tell you that you are there. If you are close to 12 the "yellow" color on your 6-way should be as dark as a school bus, almost turning orange. Anything less than 12 you are killing algae, but they are growing faster than you can kill them. That is the basis of the shock level in that once you get to shock you are killing them faster than they can reproduce.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

It's only hth 6-in-1..also, I did the hardness test but it didn't change colors
    I hope your TF 100 arrives quickly! Once you have that you will find things will go much easier. Did you order a speed stir too? I highly recommend one.
    Lisa

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok, so went to local pool store..don't worry, didn't buy anything, lol. Got the water computerized tested..
    CYA-13
    CC-10
    FC-8.4
    Ph-7.4
    TA-104
    Adj. TA-100
    CH-67
    They recommended BioGuard's Power Flock, but it's raining so I had an excuse not to buy. She said not to add stabilizer until clear because of all the vacuuming and backwashing, but with CYA only being 13, don't I need it up first to help retain Chlorine?

20. Back To Top    #20

Don't worry about the CYA, yet..... just hold your FC at 10.0 or better. Until you get your test kit and do your own test, you are just guessing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast