Quikrete pool sand comments?

The Quikrete sand seems to be filtering ok except I am experiencing the following:

I have used this sand in an Intex filter previously with no problem. I got a new Intex filter and installed this sand (one 50 lb bag). I backwashed/rinsed as directed. It rinsed well and seemed to be working as expected. After about a week I noticed I had very little water volume. I backwashed and noticed I was losing some sand, maybe about a quart-sized amount or so. The sand I lost was very fine. I rinsed to level the sand and resumed operation, thinking this would be a one-time occurrence. A week or so later, same thing. Like clockwork, after another week, same thing. Each time I backwash I notice the sight glass fills up with very fine sand particles and the water that is expelled is the tan color of the sand. The glass clears up during the rinse.

It's not blowing sand into the pool but I continue to lose a more-than-expected amount of sand each time I backwash. This did not happen with the same brand of sand and filter previously.

I can only assume there is an excessive amount of very fine sand in the bag I purchased. I plan to purchase a different brand of sand to add to the top in order to bring the sand level back up to spec.

Hopefully my filter has expelled most of the sand that is too fine for the filter and the addition of a layer of coarser sand will solve the problem without having to change out all of the sand.

Does anybody have any recommendations/ideas as to what may be happening here and maybe a better way of dealing with it.

Maybe it will clear up after another backwash or two and operation will normalize...

Everything is fine, you will always see a little bit if sand in the sight glass the way you mentioned. It's even mentioned in the instructions for the sand filter (mine did anyways) .
You have a pressure gauge on it? What was the pressure at when you noticed the water flow was down?

The Quikrete sand seems to be filtering ok except I am experiencing the following:

I have used this sand in an Intex filter previously with no problem. I got a new Intex filter and installed this sand (one 50 lb bag). I backwashed/rinsed as directed. It rinsed well and seemed to be working as expected. After about a week I noticed I had very little water volume. I backwashed and noticed I was losing some sand, maybe about a quart-sized amount or so. The sand I lost was very fine. I rinsed to level the sand and resumed operation, thinking this would be a one-time occurrence. A week or so later, same thing. Like clockwork, after another week, same thing. Each time I backwash I notice the sight glass fills up with very fine sand particles and the water that is expelled is the tan color of the sand. The glass clears up during the rinse.

It's not blowing sand into the pool but I continue to lose a more-than-expected amount of sand each time I backwash. This did not happen with the same brand of sand and filter previously.

I can only assume there is an excessive amount of very fine sand in the bag I purchased. I plan to purchase a different brand of sand to add to the top in order to bring the sand level back up to spec.

Hopefully my filter has expelled most of the sand that is too fine for the filter and the addition of a layer of coarser sand will solve the problem without having to change out all of the sand.

Does anybody have any recommendations/ideas as to what may be happening here and maybe a better way of dealing with it.

Maybe it will clear up after another backwash or two and operation will normalize...

My pressure gauge, after backwash, normally runs just slightly in the green area. It creeps up a short distance into the yellow area after roughly five days and the water flow cuts down substantially after a week with the gauge only a short distance into the yellow area.

Unfortunately, my gauge doesn't read PSI. It just gives a "relative" indication which gives a ballpark guestimate which I presume is sufficient to let me know when to backwash.

Everything is fine, you will always see a little bit if sand in the sight glass the way you mentioned. It's even mentioned in the instructions for the sand filter (mine did anyways) .
You have a pressure gauge on it? What was the pressure at when you noticed the water flow was down?

I've only backwashed three or four times thus far and have not opened the tank to check the sand level. I expect I will continue as-is for a few more backwashes to see if the volume of fine sand expelled diminishes to a smaller amount at which point I will assume all is well.

If it continues to expel a tea cup amount of sand at each backwash I presume I will need to "top off" the sand level in the tank occasionally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.