Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does salt rust the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Does salt rust the pool

I am considering the jump from Intex to permanent above ground pool. I am looking at a sharkline 15 foot pool. It has a resin top rail and I think its galvanized steel (as opposed to aluminum). The pool guy said that the salt could corrode and rust some of the beams and rails. Anyone have that problem?

He said I could use a chlorinator instead with the chlorine pucks and that would regulate that I'd always have chlorine.

The main reason I got salt in the first place with intex was that I never had enough chlorine but with the chlorinator it sounds like I'd always have it.

Thoughts about salt rusting the beams and rails and even the actual outside of the pool when water goes over the top
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does salt rust the pool

Salt does promote rust, if only slightly more than just all the water around the pool.

They are doing you no favors recommending a tab feed chlorinator as the tabs are almost half stabilizer/CYA which will quickly drive your CYA level through the roof.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Pucks are ok until your CYA gets above about 50, then you have to add more and more chlorine to cover for the higher and higher cya. Here are some links about water chemistry to read.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Recommended Levels
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

So they don't sell pucks that are all chlorine? Why is that?

So I guess the consensus is to do the salt instead right? This is the one he suggested. It may be too big for my 5,500 gal pool . Is there a smaller one available?

I'm very worried thought about the cost of replacing the cell. I've heard that a lot of them last like 2 year.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartPool-CL02.../dp/B002OWFDN6

5. Back To Top    #5

Because Chlorine has to be bound to something. It cannot be packaged by itself in pure form.

In my view, I wouldn't think of a Salt Cell as worthwhile investment in such a small pool. It's too easy to take care of with very small amounts of liquid Chlorine/Bleach. It's a personal decision, but I would not suggest it in a 5000 gallon pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    So they don't sell pucks that are all chlorine? Why is that?

So I guess the consensus is to do the salt instead right? This is the one he suggested. It may be too big for my 5,500 gal pool . Is there a smaller one available?

I'm very worried thought about the cost of replacing the cell. I've heard that a lot of them last like 2 year.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartPool-CL02.../dp/B002OWFDN6
    Chlorine is a gas in its natural state, and is extremely dangerous. It is most commonly bound with cyanuric acid or calcium to keep it in a solid state. That's why the pucks aren't all chlorine. The vote here will be for salt water chlorine generator or bleach, which is just a liquid form of chlorine, since neither of those will add anything extra to your pool. As for that salt system, I'm not impressed. I would want one that is plumbed into the system, and not something that is thrown over the side. I would think that would potentially overchlorinate that area of the pool; possibly damaging the liner. May not happen, but I just don't like it. Most swg cells last 5-7 years based on the experiences I've read about on this site. I need to buy another one since mine went out at the end of last season. I think it made it 6 years.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

X2 as recommended on the liquid bleach with a 5000 gal pool.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

8. Back To Top    #8

A lot of the pools that are galvanized steel coated are not rated for salt and it says it voids the warranty. Which is better for a SWG, resin pool or an aluminum pool.